Children present during labor and delivery?

Has anyone had their kids present during labor and delivery of a new sibling? What are your opinions on having them their while giving birth? My 4 year old daughter says she wants to be there but I'm not sure if its a good idea.

SMG1120

Asked by SMG1120 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No way. Not something a child will really understand or needs to see. My daughter will be with my mom, who can bring her to the hospital to meet the baby once he or she is born.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I didn't have mine there. Not because I thought it was gross, or they weren't old enough. I just wanted my husband there.

I think it's a personal decision for each family. I don't think it's bad if some choose to have their children present.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Well she likes to watch those birthing shows and she knows a lot about how a baby is born and that it is painful. She also knows that some times a baby has to be cut out (c section). She also understands that a baby is covered in stuff (blood and what not) after it is born. She is very smart and my husband and I are honest with her about things when she asks. She really hates being talked down to and if she thinks you arent being 100% she'll call you out on it.
    SMG1120

Comment by SMG1120 (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I personally would not be ok with it. My labors weren't very normal and I probably would have scared the living hell out of a child if he had seen what happened. When my oldest was born, his cord was tied in a knot and he was born with no heartbeat, not breathing. It was horrifying to watch a team of people trying to resuscitate him. I mean, in an ideal world, everything will go normally and it will be a beautiful experience, but if something goes wrong, I can't imagine my child witnessing it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• i wanted my 4 yr old there but she didn't go to the sibling class prior. my kids stepped out room for me to push baby out then came right back in after he was born. she was 3 weeks shy from 5 and will never forget that!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 6:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• See thats the issue I'm dealing with. With her my labor and delivery were pretty normal and there was no unexpected problems. But that doesnt mean it'll be the same this time and I dont know if she should be there.
    SMG1120

Comment by SMG1120 (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I take all my little ones to my ob appointments. So they have seen me have vaginal exams and my gbs test. I explain what is happening and they understand how a baby is born. With that in mind I would never have them in the delivery room. I need to focus and hubby is busy helping me so I don't want them to feel forgotten. If I could stand there and explain everything to them then sure but that will be the last thing on my mind.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. Just in case there are problems, I would not want her to worry.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 7:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I'm currently pregnant with my fourth and planning a homebirth this time. My boys will be almost 4, 3, and 2 when baby arrives. They'll be welcome to be present for the birth if they want to.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yes. I think it's agreat idea if the children are prepared and if there is someone available to take the kids in case they decide they would prefer to leave. I've attended a few births where children have been present and they always did well (Homebirth setting)
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2011