How far do you think they will get with this ?

I was once married to a man of chinese decent ( his great grandparents came to this country ) ... he never spoke of his "culture" in fact I knew more things about chinese culture than he did ( when I was younger, we lived next door to an older woman who was from china - she married an american soldier- and sometimes she would babysit me and my brother and tell us about her childhood) ...

We also had 2 daughters together ...

During out whole relationship his parents ignored me, they didnt like me ( because I was white ) ... so they never came to our wedding, they only seen their grandaughters once ( when we went to their house because his dad was in bad health) ...

After 3 years of marriage, he also decided he didnt want anything to do with me ( or our kids) , we divorced and he signed his rights over and completely dissappeared ( i heard from some of his old friends that he is living about 5 states away with some other woman now) ...

I recently won money in the lottery ( not a ton though, but enough that I was able to pay off my car and do alot of improvments to my house, and then some put back for when my girls are older) ... well 2 days after it was "annouced" ( since i bought the ticket at the local gas station, it was on the local news ) ... well all of a sudden they went and filed papers that they want custody of my girls !!!!

Of course at first I was shocked and worried ( thinking OMG someone wants to take my babies away) ... but then I realized that they wont be able to ( or shouldnt be) and I got a good lawyer...

We can prove that they have never had any contact with my children, and we are also aloud to mention that they filed right after it was public record of the money winnings and that they also are asking for child support ( makes it even more fishy) ... My lawyer told me not to worry at all ...but he also told me there would be a small chance they could get a small amount of visitation... and that bothers me sooo much !!! But my mom said that if they know they wont be getting money for visitation, she doubts they would still want it....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• I am sorry to hear that. I understand you and I do hope that they wont get any visitation if thats really what they are after. But I dont know what they expect, that you just throw money at them now after all this and like you said you didnt win a whole bunch so you not a multi millionaire i assume. Even is that was the case I wouldnt give them a dime.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I hope the courts don't let them have any visitation. They had disowned you and your children years ago and it is so obvious what they want now.
    CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WINNINGS!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• wow. people are so greedy and disgusts me. i am glad that you got a good lawyer. keep your guide up and stick to your guns.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• That's pathetic. They've shown no interest in the children until now, and that's bad enough, but then to file for CUSTODY?? Is there ANY evidence that the kids are in danger in YOUR care? I'd be very careful about having alcohol or empty bottles in the house, just in case someone is getting nosy, and make sure your house is clean and in order, just to avoid giving any ammunition, but yeah, I'd say they have no case.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• If he signed his rights away, he can't get them back. If by some miracle he does, he will have to pay the back child support starting from when you'll got divorced so he will still owe YOU money.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Oh, and he still won't get custody, he would at most get a couple visits a year especially with him being 5 states away.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I don't know much about this but it doesn't sound like they have any ground for taking custody from you! Good Luck and I hope it turns out how you want :)
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It would seem that if the father signed off rights, any grandparents rights would be terminated as well...if they even offer it...especially from 5 states away.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• well i am not worried about surprise visits or anything "wrong" on my end... I am a devoted mom, who has never drank or even smoked a ciggerette .. my house is always clean and stocked with food, and I work at home just so I can be home with them ! I am at every tball game and every dance practice ... I mean I really doubt they can even find any "dirt" on me.... but I am always thinking that maybe this judge is a grandparent or something..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• He signed his rights away it is doubtful he will even get visitation. I suppose if he wins any visitation you could go after him for past child support. What a douche bag your ex is. The grandparents shouldn't have any rights at all.
    Anonymous