• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone gotten really depressed when they were pregnant?

I am really depressed. I thought this was supposed to be the happiest time of my life, but I spend most of my days crying. My fiance (or whatever you want to call him now (i gave him his ring back) and I have been fighting non stop-he is always at the bar and cant stand to be around me-this upsets me even more. I am going to see the doc tomorrow about all this but wanted to see if anyone else is/was in same boat? Is there anything out there safe to take for depression?

andrea5979

Asked by andrea5979 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Depression effects everyone around you, doesn't it. First off your fiance should be more understanding of your female hormones and grin and bear it. (even though it is really tough on him)

Secondly, I too became really depressed with this pregnancy. I thought it would be the happiest time of my life as well and instead it is bittersweet. I spent almost three months sleeping and secluding myself from the outside world. I became a walking zombie. I was already on Zoloft for anxiety and when I talked to my doctor, he said that it is one of the best meds to take for depression during pregnancy so he upped my dosage to make it therapeutic for depression.

After a few weeks of being on the increased dosage I started coming out of my shell and am happy and living my life again.

I feel for you, I really do. Hopefully, your doctor will be helpful tomorrow as you, your baby, and fiance all need it.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I'm not sure what you can take because my doctor never got around to prescribing it, but he did say if things got too bad he could.
    It might be changing hormones. I HATED it when people said that to me, especially when I could tell my hubby thought it was like a "get out of jail free card" I know how guilty I felt just being upset. But a lot of times it's not something you have any control over.
    I noticed that I had some good months and some bad ones, after having my baby and giving my body a few weeks to readjust to things I was thankfully back to my normal crazy self. If you're just noticing depression in your pregnancy than that would be my guess. If you have a history of depression your Doctor will probably be able to help.
    Anonymous

• Being Pregnant is not easy. It was not the happiest time of my life either, my hubby was on active duty and it was hard him being away. This was the first time we ever had a fight about anything, over the phone with him being 3000 miles away and the only thing I wanted was him home. Alot of this too is probably the changes happening in your body. I had a lady in the store tell me "Being pregnant is being lonely, because no matter what anybody says or does it doesnt make you feel better" This for me was very true, Talk to your doctor maybe invest in a psychologist or some other professional help to get you through this rough time. Talking may help. GL
    Anonymous

• girl send me a message and i will reply and let you know my little secret about depression!!
    kaitie_bug

Answer by kaitie_bug at 2:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i have my days sometimes weeks. im single and its really hard, sometimes i feel really lonely, and other days i feel great. this has been a good week, so im sure next week will be a rollercoaster. pregnancy is so much fun! if you need to talk or vent about your guy just message me, id be happy to help you.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If everything was going wonderfully with your boyfriend, you probably wouldn't be feeling like this now. Just relax and worry about yourself and the baby. Being stressed is not good for you, and it's certainly not good for the baby. Good luck.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 7:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2008