New boyfriend not over his ex.....

I started dating a guy that I have know forever. He cliams that he has loved me since we were young, puppy love age. I know he is angry at his recent ex wife of 18 years. She left him for another man and didn't take the kids. This is a hard time for him and his boy's but I can't help wondering if he's not over her and if I should continue seeing him. He says he is over her but there are times that I find it hard to believe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• Examine why you "find it hard to believe." Is it because of things he says & does, or just because they were together so long? He will continue to be angry & that doesn't mean he isn't over her, it means he was treated badly. If he seems too emotionally involved with his divorce than you can always just keep it light for awhile. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing kind of thing, maybe he detached himself from his wife to some degree long before the marriage ended & is ready for being 100% in your relationship, but if not you can always develop the relationship with him while as he continues to heal from his past if you care enough about him to do so.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Of course he's not over her! He's still trying to figure out "why". You should continue being his FRIEND, but don't get involved any further than that for a while.

SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 2:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• he is probably over her personally but not over what she did to him. that is hard for a man and you shouldn't be jumping in bed with him anytime soon. maybe you should bow out gracefully and give him more time. if he loved you like you said he will come back. just tell him it's not the right time. i do believe it's the wrong timing.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2008