S/O Soap in the mouth

What exactly is Soap in the Mouth supposed to teach? My mother never did it to us - not that I remember anyways. But I babysat for a woman that used it for just about everything from bad grades to violence.

But what is the "normal" use for it? I couldn't imagine doing something like that to a child, but I know there are those who do. So I wonder why...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's cruel. My mom did it to me once (for bad language) but I'd NEVER do it to my kids.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Its a form of punishment that a child hopefully never wants to talk dirty again.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• An excuse to abuse a child. It teaches them nothing you can't work through without violence. Kids don't stop swearing from having their mouth washed out. They learn the behavior from everyone around them and they need to be taught. Anyone who does this nowdays should have it done to them. Seriously if people don't want to take the time to work their their kids to be good people they shouldn't have them. Parenting isn't easy, there is no excuse for violence, ever.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 8:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• So it's meant to stop children from using "bad words"? How stupid! Words are words... Why punish for them... Some parents just need slapped!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My mother did it to us for saying cuss words...or other things we shouldn't SAY. Which I guess makes sense but it was horrible. I always felt out of control and like I was being suffocated (my mother would sit on our chest and do it) it was HORRIBLE!! Once my brother (2 years older than me...so about 6 or 7 at the time) said 'find a word that rhymes with 'duck' and go tell mom' 1. I'd been doing rhyming words at school and 2. we were at my grandma's (my mom's mom) house. So...I did...I went through the whole alphabet and when I got to f...well you get it...my brother stopped me and said 'yea, that one...go tell mom' YEA...well I did...at 4-5 years old I DIDN'T KNOW MY BROTHER WOULD DO THAT! Instead of talking to me about why I said and where I heard it, she grabbed me and washed my mouth out! I was proud that I was able to rhyme and had no idea I said something wrong...I was mortified! I will NEVER do that to my kids!
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 8:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Soap in the mouth IS a punishment for saying bad words....but it is just crude and useless,in my opinion. SET a good example for your kids. Don't cuss at home. That is the best we can all do---raise them right and set a good example. If they hear the words from kids at school, tell them it is inappropriate and that they are better than that.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My mother did it to me once for saying hell. She was talking to my grandmother and they were discussing that my cousin said it and got soap in his mouth so I figured I would try it out. I got the same thing. It was a little bit, taught me not to say it again and I am now 45 years old with no mental illnesses now or in the past. I learned to respect my elders and their rules, something kids do not do today.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It's a negative association between a bad taste and behavior. Just like denatonium on nails for nail biting.  Normal soap, unless you're using anti-bacterial, is also essentially harmless.  Compared to the lye and fels-naptha that used to be used, it's hardly worth worrying about.  Of course, one post brings out everyone who ever had an abusive parent who owned soap, so we can hear all about how the soap was the problem (not the grown woman sitting on the torso of a toddler).  Just like the abusive woman who fed her child bottles and bottles full, and then we simply must exaggerate and insist every child who ever had to take a single lick was secretly forced fed an entire gallon, becuase that must be the only way it has ever been done (even before liquid soap was invented) because Dr. Phil said so

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My mom used to say "I'll wash your mouth out with soap" although that was mostly a threat. I think she only did the soap in the mouth once, (I was quite little) and I believe that was for saying swears. Evidently the wash the mouth out with soap did not work on me, cause I do cuss alot!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Oh, I forgot to add-- soap in the mouth is something I would never do to my kids.... I think there are much better and more effective ways to discipline my kids.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011