Can someone explain "Fair Tax"?

I think I'm getting it wrong. I've always used the term "Flat Tax" to mean that everyone, regardless of their income should pay the same percentage for taxes... But someone told me that's fair tax, then someone said a fair tax would kill the middle class, which I don't understand if that's what it is... Someone explain!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• A fair tax, taxes you at the consumer level.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You are right, a flat tax would tax everyone the same no matter what. The difference is that a fair tax would eliminate ALL other taxes as well. It is a higher overall tax that is supposed to cover everything and there is no other need to pay any other taxes. It would do away with the 16th amendment and the IRS. There would be some group in charge of refunds or issues... but it would removed most of the government's role.

The fair tax would hurt people like senior citizens the most... their income, which isn't really income but will count that way for the purpose of the tax, would still be taxed and since they have already been taxed on all of their income prior to retirement it acts double.

It would be nice to not have to ever deal with the IRS, but people complain because of how many jobs would be lost if it were to be defunded. Government does not like to remove big programs like this, and the control that it has as well
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Fair tax would hurt lower income people and the elderly more. Many of these people would be taxed at 100% or their income, whereas the wealthy would be only taxed on a small percentage of theirs. Meaning the poor would be taxed on necessities (meaning that everything they purchase is a necessity) and the wealthy would not. Not a good way to go at all
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Fair tax would hurt lower income people and the elderly more. Many of these people would be taxed at 100% or their income, whereas the wealthy would be only taxed on a small percentage of theirs. Meaning the poor would be taxed on necessities (meaning that everything they purchase is a necessity) and the wealthy would not. Not a good way to go at all.

Actually there are prebate checks that would be paid monthly. My family according to the chart would get 487 a month to offset for basic expenses. A larger family would recieve more a smaller family less. Might want to read the website about the tax rather than a liberal blog. I know many hate the idea of a fair tax but the very rich people like you hate would pay more since they would be taxed on what they spend rather than income. Since it is pointed out that the super rich don't usually have income they don't pay taxes with the fair tax they finally would pay.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the vote down. lol
    Anonymous

• minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Actually there are prebate checks that would be paid monthly. My family according to the chart would get 487 a month to offset for basic expenses. A larger family would recieve more a smaller family less. Might want to read the website about the tax rather than a liberal blog. I know many hate the idea of a fair tax but the very rich people like you hate would pay more since they would be taxed on what they spend rather than income. Since it is pointed out that the super rich don't usually have income they don't pay taxes with the fair tax they finally would pay.
    >>>>>
    I have, the amount of a prebate would not be nearly enough to level that playing field. In it's basic set up, the system would work hard to keep working poor and middle class down. You cannot fund a country on the backs of the most productive group.
    And the wealthy would not pay more than they are now, under this system, and they would not pay. below
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• on more of a percentage of their income. No matter how you slice it, the middle class and poor get the burden, and that burden will slow the economy, not build it.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• IMO, there are all kinds of taxes and all kinds of ways to apply them but while there may be such a thing as a flat tax, I really do not believer there is any such animal as a "fair" tax. Taxes by their very nature are not, nor are they meant to be, FAIR.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• With the fair tax people get to keep their whole check and they are in full control over their taxes by choosing how much they spend each month. We spend 700 a month on basic expenses (food and household items) so the 487 would more than offset the taxes we spend on the basics. We would end up with more each month than we have now. If we made the choice to not spend much one month we would pay very little other months we would pay more. The wealthy guy who loves cars and boats and doesn't pay taxes now because he has no income will finally pay more. I know Dems want people afraid of the fair tax. When people are in control of how much they pay that gives them power. Dems don't want people to feel empowered at all they want them to feel beat down then they will blame the Repubs for it. A vicious cycle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2011