My husband and I made $50,000 last year.

Where does that put us? Are we lower middle class, upper lower class, where would we rank? Obviously that is before taxes. It seems like a lot of money, but I feel broke. What gives??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Money & Work

• Know how you feel, from what I gathered during the election this year we are no class lol. But I'm pretty sure at 50k they consider us lower middle.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I feel like we don't make enough to get by some months but to qualify for any kind of help we make too much. It's a vicious cycle : (
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I guess it depends on where you live. Housing costs are really high in some areas and low in others.

I grew up in Madison, WI where my ex hubby and I paid $1200 a month to rent a two bedroom apartment. Now I live in Neenah, WI (small town) and my fiance and I pay $600 for a three bedroom that is just as nice.

To me $50,000 for a family is low and averages out to two people working full time and making only about $12.50 an hour.

We only bring in about $90,000 for the two of us which averages about $22 an hour each. We are not poor but we are not comfortable either.

I don't know if this answeres your question though.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Depends on where you life, like some others said. Where I live (rural TN) that's a lot of money. Houses rent for about $500 for 3 bedroom, apts go even cheaper. Our geneal cost of living is lower. Our avg income for my town is about $35,000/yr per household.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If it's $50g's together it's actually considered the working poor.
    Anonymous

• I'd kill to be living on 50K. I am on disability with 2 kids as a single parent and even with assistance I only have about $15K a year or a little more. I'd feel rich on $50K, but that's just me.
    Dianne1259

Answer by Dianne1259 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It depends where you live, I think its pretty reasonable.
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• We make less than that a year---around $40k. An extra 10k would be really nice.

But, on the other hand, the only debt we have is the house. So, even tho we don't make a lot of money, we can make it (for now).
    busywithkids

Answer by busywithkids at 10:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2008