Strep Throat?

Ok before you all tell me to take my son to the doctor, let me assure you I am, I just have to wait until tomorrow morning. That being said... my 2 year old had a mild fever the other day, but then he seemed fine right back to normal, and now this morning he is going ow and pointing inside his mouth. So I know his throat is hurting, my question is can it be strep? Cause when I looked it up on the internet they said it's usually only starts in children 5 and up. Have any of you had little ones with strep throat? Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The strep bacteria causes more than just strep throat. Children younger than 5 could have the strep virus but not the typical "strep" presentation. It can cause ear infections, sinus infections, pink eye, etc. My son was tested for strep at 2. He was negative. A day or two after we had him tested guess what...*I* came down with strep and so did my mom. Even though he did not test positive for it, I'm convinced he had those little buggers. :)

Oh and for what it's worth, my he was in pre-K, he had at least three kids out of school over a multi-span stretch for strep-throat. only one of them was 5 the other two were 4 yrs old.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My DD had strep when she was a little over a year and it gave her a rash on her chest.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 10:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my son at about 8m had strep with scarlet fever. They say it is rare to find strep in kinds under five but yes it does happen.

If he has a rash any where on his body make sure you get it checked out to, cause scarlet fever can cause problems in the heart later on and a few other things I can't remember.
    annybutcher

Answer by annybutcher at 12:13 AM on Dec. 12, 2008