Do your kids have pets? Do you think it's important?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 8:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, my son has a bunny, turtle, and dog. My son is 6 years old and he loves helping me with the bunny and the turtle. He will fill their food and water dishes up. He is learning responsibility, how to care and love animals and I think that is most important.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• We don't have any pets in our house. I'm not much of an animal person and the majority of the responsibility would fall to me since both of my kids are fairly young and DH goes to sea a lot. In the past, we have had a kitten, fish, and a bunny (the bunny was only for about a month because we weren't supposed to have it in base housing).
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• are you kidding we have pretty much a farm..i grew up with all kinds of animals myself..i think it teaches them so many diff things...i myself hardly ever have to take mine to the vet bc i have learned so much over the years..i have even passed the love for animals down to my sd..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Not yet, but we've been considering it for my 8yr old dd, probably a hamster or a gerbil for her first pet. I'm interested to see what others have, maybe get some ideas.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• They are very important for teaching responsibility, empathy and taking care of others, not to mention teaching about unconditional love. We have horses, a donkey, chickens, rabbits, mice and pot bellied pigs, and yesterday we went to the livestock auction and got a rabbit with her 5 brand new baby bunnies and a hen with her two chicks.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• We have a betta fish and a desert tortoise. I'm fine with it because the fish lives in a bowl and the tortoise lives outside and only needs food and water once a day for 6 months of the year (and then he hibernates). I hate dogs and cats, so we will never have those. I don't want anything that would make a mess or be noisy or shed or be on the carpet or furniture, etc.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I do think it's important for kids to have pets. Unfortunately my dh does not really like animals. Right now we have two guinea pigs who the kids and I adore and dh tolerates. My middle daughter is dying to get a cat but dh says no because he doesn't like cats... I am working on him, since I'm the one who does all the pet care and pays all the pet bills anyhow! I do think that pets should be family pets however- I don't think animals should be used to 'teach kids responsibility.' My kids do take responsibility for feeding the pigs, giving them water, etc. but I don't think the sole responsibility should be on the kids. I know I would not want to rely on a nine year old to provide me with all my needs! So the kids help out extensively with the pets, but at the end of the day I make sure everything is taken care of.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No... but it can be a good thing to teach them responsibility... kids don't have pets... moms do.LOL
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 10:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My DH got me a bulldog when I MC. It has since decided it is my two year olds brother. My son gets a lot out of it, he says sit and lay down and fetch now, he wasn't talking before. the dog loves him so much, but him and my LO are the same size/weight so he knocks him over a lot!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• We have two small dogs. My daughter can sometimes be less than loving.......so ....I think it's important for HER. However, I don't think pets are necessary to ensure a loving child. A pet does help to instill certain responsibilities, but they are not necessary. Having a pet is not a requirement when having a child. Although, teaching your child early on that other small beings require care and loving is never a bad lesson.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011