Im GOING to send my son to the parks and recreation preschool?

there session's are only 8wks.. And my son wont start kindergarden til he is 5 almost 6. so im wondering if maybe I could enroll him in 8 wks of preschool then 8wks of soccer then 8 wks of t ball.. I dunno? I feel alot of pressure around me and Like it my fault my son has a late bday and I cant afford regular preschool.. Maybe sports are good too? I feel like im doing something wrong bc my son was born in nov.. ITS Like i have mommy guilt over this or something

Rydersmommy616

Asked by Rydersmommy616 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why does he have to be doing something? I think parents of today are forgetting that children need to learn their morals and values from their parents/family before they are shipped off to learn from other people who may not have the same morals and values of their own families. Enjoy him while he's around because someday he's going to be too busy to spend any time with you.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I completly agree with you attap5.. Im just being pressured by several family members and even attacked that he will go to kindergarden at almost 6.. I shouldnt care what they think.. My son is damn smart right now. and its bc i WORK with him.. Im GETTING PRESSURE FROM family and I feel guilty and I dont even know why
    Rydersmommy616

Comment by Rydersmommy616 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• i don't think preschool is mandatory...but i understand you wanting to put him in sports. i'm looking into sports for my son as well...just a once a week thing for the summer. it's not like i'm "shipping" him there forever.

maybe you should ask him what he wants. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• In WA the first mandatory grade level is 1st grade.

I actually had this conversation with my MIL the other night when I had completely lost my patience with my 7 year old son. There is NO REASON to put a child into school early. His kindergarten year he started in Sept. and in Oct. he turned 6. He's done just fine, and waiting was the best decision I made, even though I could have pushed to have him tested and entered early (being 5 for most of the year instead of 6). She has a degree in early childhood education and has raise 6 kids of her own and countless children in her in-home daycare when her kids (my husband) were little.

Tell those family members that are giving you a hard time to stick it in their ear. He's your boy and you will decide what's best for him. They can do differently with THEIR kids.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I'm sorry they are doing that to you. I homeschool now, but started my older ones in school many moons ago. My oldest's birthday is September 28th so that cut her off in the beginning of the year, so I know how that is. Don't let them pressure you, tell them that YOU are the child's mother and you will do what you feel is best. If you want their advice, you will ask it, but not necessarily take it. Sounds like you are doing a terrific job and they should keep their noses out of your business.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My girls went to preschool through the park district in Chicago. It was great. My oldest went all year when she was 4. My middle daughter only went 1/2 a year and started in January when she was 5. She has a Nov. birthday so she started kindergarten a couple months before turning 6. My youngest daughter went for a full year starting when she was 3 1/2 and LOVED it. It was only 2 days/week, 2 hours/day for them. My son never went to preschool and started kindergarten a month before turning 6.
    While in Chicago they were in after school stuff but only 1 activity per kid because it got crazy running them to the school/park every day and we stopped doing activities at all in the winter (too cold to walk). We've since moved to WA and my kids aren't in any activities and my youngest dd didn't do preschool this year. She starts kindy in the fall. Tell you family to mind their own business and do what you want.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011