I am nursing my son still and he has started biting. Is there anyway to break him of this? and Has anyone else experienced this?

Gizmo25

Asked by Gizmo25 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is he? my son started bitng me to and he was 10months we just called it quits and he was put on a to a sippy cup.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You shove your boob into his face and say "NO!"
    (You have to shove into him so he'll let go, otherwise if you pull away it hurts you and he keeps digging his teeth in)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Common problem. It does not have to mean the end of nursing. You can get him to let go by inserting a finger into the corner of his mouth to break his latch, or press him into you as someone else suggested. Then you need to send a clear message that this is not acceptable. How you go about sending this message depends on you and your child. I would remain very calm (no jumping or yelling ouch, because my son found that to be just hilarious), firmly say "no biting" several times, and set him down on the floor. He'd get upset and I'd go ahead and just let him be upset for a few moments. Then I'd pick him up and offer the breast again, but remind him "no biting". A few reptitions of this worked for my son and the biting stopped.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The answers are above are good, and I just want to add one thing. My DD would start biting me at the end when there was little to no milk left, so your son might be biting because there is no milk left. Either that or he is teething! If it is because of the milk, then you can take him off before he starts biting.
    iLuVmYMaDiSoN07

Answer by iLuVmYMaDiSoN07 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My son bit me a couple times. I unlatched him, told him "no biting", and placed him in his bed for 5 minutes while I left the room. After the 5 minutes i resumed feeding him. He cried a lot but I think he got the message that biting equals no milk.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I've heard of people giving them a light thump on the cheek and saying no firmly, he will catch on. You have to remember too that when teething they're just biting b/c it feels good.
    LuVzLiFeMoMwIfE

Answer by LuVzLiFeMoMwIfE at 3:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my daughter is almost 10 months and is also biting me. I appreciate the above answers. Also she only nurses for a couple of minutes is that normal I am afraid I am not making enough milk it seems like the older she gets the longer she should nurse, she seems healthy though.
    harleygirl2475

Answer by harleygirl2475 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I've read to say "no" firmly and then put your boob away. My DD has only bitten a few times, and never did it very often. When she did, I just said "OUch!" and pulled away for a minute, and she's hasn't done it more than 3 or 4 times since doing I've done this, actually now, I've been bite free for almost a week!
    My DD is 9 months.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Gizmo25

Answer by Gizmo25 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2008