Strep Throat? (PIOC)

I'm posting this again here cause I think this category gets looked at more, by more Mommies.....
Ok before you all tell me to take my son to the doctor, let me assure you I am, I just have to wait until tomorrow morning. That being said... my 2 year old had a mild fever the other day, but then he seemed fine right back to normal, and now this morning he is going ow and pointing inside his mouth. So I know his throat is hurting, my question is can it be strep? Cause when I looked it up on the internet they said it's usually only starts in children 5 and up. Have any of you had little ones with strep throat? Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Yes, my son got it when he was 2. It USUALLY only starts in children 5 and up. His pediatrician was actually shocked to see it, and he had been in the field for 25 years. It's rare, but it can happen. Does he have a fever? Usually with strep throat, a person's throat doesn't hurt that much but they will get a high fever. (Around 103 and up.)

I get strep at least twice a year. lol. Do you have popsicles you can give him?Thats all my son could eat when he had it.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My bad, I just re-read your question where you said he had a mild fever. Do you remember what it was? Strep will usually make you run a pretty high fever.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I get strepp a lot, but idk if i ever get a fever with it. Probably do, and I just don't notice. Run your hands underneath his jaws and feel his glands under there. If any of them feel swollen or hard, that is also a good indication. Also, there is usually puss bubbles in the back of the throat with strepp, but being he is 2, you may have a hard time looking.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Might be, in which case you def. need to treat it. Untreated strep can develop into Scarlett Fever. Sometimes strep can make a kiddo throw up. Has he thrown up? Do you see any patchy spots?

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 2:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• OP here- I tired looking in his mouth and he won't let me, when my hubby and I held him down and looked we saw nothing, however I am no expert. I used to get strep throat all the time when I was a kid, I mean all the time. So I"m wondering if that could make easier for him to get it. I don't remember exactly what his fever was I think the highest it got was about 101.5. I tried feeling under his jaw and everything but he just pulls away and says ouch mommy! I don't know! I guess I just want to make sure because believe it or not this is like only the second time I am taking him to the doctor for being sick.
    By the way I just want to thank you ladies for not bashing me and giving great advice!
    Anonymous