A little dilemma

My husband chose the name Elias, we both like it. While we were thinking of a middle name to go along with it, we both decided to use my FIL's name Manuel. So, Elias Manuel, and Eli for short.

It has been decided. Only problem. Yesterday, I realized the last guy I had slept with before I met my husband, his name was Manuel..... :|

This is probably why when some of my friends ask, whats the name going to be, and when I say, they look at me funny and say "Manuel? hmmm"

The reason we chose the name Manuel was because its my husbands fathers name, but I'm afraid some people are going to think I named him after the one One night stand I had months before I met my husband.

Not sure if I should change it. My husband knows about this, he says to just leave it, but...I don't want people to think its weird. Should I even care what they think? Or should I try and convince my husband to change it? We really like the name, I kinda just don't really know what to do.

monstersmommy20

Asked by monstersmommy20 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Baby Names

• Maybe you could use your FIL's middle name instead.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• U shouldn't not do something just because of what everyone else might think. The question is, does it make u uncomfortable for other reasons?
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The only people that a child's name should matter to are his/her parents. As long as you have been up front honest with your husband, and he's ok with it. I'd leave it. Besides, the name is for your FIL, not your one night stand.

I'd leave it. It sounds good, and has good intentions behind the naming. It just happens to be a VERY weird coincidence.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• if you & your hubby like the name you shouldnt care what people think
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• People can think whatever they want. And I guess if they jump to conclusions, let them. You and your family know the reason behind choosing the name. Can you really picture one of your friends explaining to Eli down the road of why his middle name is supposedly Manuel based on their assumption, anyway? I wouldn't worry about it.
    itsmommalori

Answer by itsmommalori at 11:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Why did you tell anyone about a one night stand?
    Anonymous

• I would think if a person knows you well enough to know you had a one night stand with a guy named Manuel, that they should also know you well enough to know that Manuel is you FIL. Keep the name, especially if your DH knows your history with a guy with that name.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I know people that like to talk shit. My ex best friend, no longer my friend anymore, because she still wants me to party like I use to back in the day (hence the one night stand...I was a little wild child) But I got pregnant, and my priorities are different, and I don't have time for her crap. Anyway, my ex best friend, whom we both still have mutual friends, if she found out the name of my child, she would tell people its after the one night stand, and I met my husband a month or so after that one night. The one night wanted more than one night, and I didn't So, she would probably talk crap about me saying that the baby isn't my husbands, and things like that, and I'm just a big ol' slut. But a few mutual friends, have said hmm...its not that I care, I just don't wan them thinking like that, and I don't want the drama from my ex friend. My FIL doesn't have a middle name.
    monstersmommy20

Comment by monstersmommy20 (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Your ex best friend is a child. Anyone who knows her should realize this as well. Keep the name, it's a wonderful name for a wonderful little man. Tell your friends to either get over it or keep it to themselves. Some people are so selfish.
    harymarshman

Answer by harymarshman at 9:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I'd keep the name as is and if people are rude enough to comment I would give them "the look" and say "Yes, we named him Manuel after this grandfather. Not that it is your business how we decided on names! "
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2011