My 2 year old is unbuckling his car seat!!!!!!!!!!! HELPPPP!!!!!

Ok mommies!!! I need some serious help! My two year old keeps unbuckling his car seat... The shoulder clip and the part that connects the harness together! :( He just keeps doing it over and over. ive tried to explain to him that he needs to leavve it on because he could get hurt if we got in an accident.. Ive tried telling him all different things to stop it. Ive even tried redirecting him with toys, books and snacks ect... Ive looked online for something to keep him form undoing the things but i cant find anything. All i can find is a velcro thing for the buckle and velcro is nothing to my 2 year old!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Please help!!!

TylersMommy0808

Asked by TylersMommy0808 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think he should be strong enough to do that. Maybe u need a new seat.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I have no idea, but here's a bump for you. Hopefully you get some suggestions.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It might be defective
    BitsMom00

• Its not defective! :/ he is really strong and he doesnt give up. He uses both hands and pushes the buttons with his thumbs. I even went to babies r us over the weekend to test out other buckles and they all felt the same. His seat is only almost 3 years old.. I got it for my baby shower and it was new that year. I also had it checked and installed at the police station!!
    TylersMommy0808

Comment by TylersMommy0808 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• That's crazy. Idk
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Turn the buckle in the crotch around so the button is facing him. I've done this on accident with both of my kids and it's nearly impossible for me to get undone again; and I had the extra leverage and strength.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Maybe the straps aren't tight enough. If the straps are looser than they should be, unbuckling it is quite easy. My daughter can do it during play (when she sits in the seat before the bottom is buckled). However, once the bottom is buckled in...it should be quite difficult. My suggestion is to tighten the straps. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Thanks ladies! The straps are very tight. They are so tight i feel like he cant even breathe... He undoes the harness clip and the buckle. I cant tighten the straps anymore without him suffocating..
    TylersMommy0808

Comment by TylersMommy0808 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Oh geez..........well, you have a little muscle man on your hands!! Maybe show him Dora cartoons where they emphasize seatbelts. They always say "Seatbelts.....so we can be safe!" I don't know... But Good Luck to you!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would find the coarsest velcro you can and put the pokey side on the buttons... then when he pushes it will poke him and hopefully make him stop.... try it and see.

Also with the chest clip... find one that you have to squeeze on both sides rather than a button... my son's seats all have the squeeze kind and there is no way he could get them undone... Evenflo's clips are really wide and would be difficult for a toddler to undo.

With the crotch buckle, if he continues to unbuckle it... call the car seat maker and see if they will allow it being flipped backwards so the button is on the inside.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011