Scholarships for an adult returning to school? Where do we start?

My husband works as a welding instructor, and has obtained that job from adult ed classes and on the job training/experience. He wants to get his CWI (certified welding inspector), but the program costs $4000. We are mostly a one income family (I work part time in the school system) so that's way more than we can swing and we can't take on a loan- our budget's stretched too thin as it is. He has been offered so many opportunities, some within the company he works for, but he's afraid to step out on a limb because we rely on the money he brings in. If he had the certifications, he would be more confident to try the promotions... Right now he's comfortable working in his position because he's protected by the union.

SO, long story short, is there scholarships out there for adults? For technical certifications? Any idea where we would even look?

Also, I would love to go back to school now that the kids are getting older. I only finished a year of college (3.96 GPA), before I quit to get married. :( You couldn't have told me then what I know now!

mommy2mykidz

Asked by mommy2mykidz at 9:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• Fastweb.com and your school's financial aid office
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Do they offer tuition reimbursement at you husband's job? If you have 401K you can borrow it from there and repay it later. You pay yourself the interest.

I, too, returned to school as an adult. I just finished nursing school and just passed boards and now am an RN. You can do this! Start by filling out a FAFSA http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/#.

Good luck!
    cookiecutter17

Answer by cookiecutter17 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Make an appointment with the Financial Aid Advisor in the school you want to attend.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Fill out the financial aid paperwork at FAFSA.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011