Does anyone know how to lay floor tiles?

I have an area, a large closet that the washer and dryer are in. It currently has a flat vinyl flooring that is torn in several places. It does not lay level with the new hardwood floors. Is it very difficult to lay ceramic tiles? I cannot do it now, medical issues, but perhaps later this summer my son could do it and I could help? I understand I have to pull up the current flooring, then put down some tile cement with a grooved trowel, then space the tiles (12 X 12) and then grout it. Is this all there is to it? Thanks. Not so handy Mom.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 9:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It is really not that hard. Pull up old flooring. Make sure it's level. Make a guide line so that everything is straight and then you work off of that. Put down the cement with the trowel. Butter some on the back. Lay down. The hardest party is using a rule saw and measuring edges.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Talk to an expert at Home Depot, Lowe's, or a store like that. They're there to answer questions and it does not mean you have to buy anything from them - we do it all the time ;). GL!
    Anonymous

• Do you think Lowes would have the same type of classes? My late sister worked for HD and she got a massive head trauma when a 5 gallon bucket of paint fell off of a high shelf pinning her head to the concrete floor. The GM did not want to call the paramedics, so she had to find a ride to the nearest ER. I will never shop at HD EVER.
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2011