If you were to have triplets....

Would you BF or FF or a combination of both?

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 9:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine had BM from the time they started taking feeds in the NICU. I was lucky enough to produce enough milk for all of them. I continued pumping until they were about 3 months old, but I was running myself into the ground with round the clock feeding and having to pump afterwards for the next bottles. I couldn't breastfeed because I couldn't get my boys to latch on properly and my daughter had a cleft lip/palate and was unable. Plus their pediatrician wanted to fortify the BM with extra calories. Anyway, MY doctor told me to quit pumping after 3 months because I was making myself sick and had lost a lot of weight. I think they got what they needed during the most critical times of their life so I am happy I could make it that far.
    tripletmommy806

Answer by tripletmommy806 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I would work at breastfeeding, if I couldn't keep up with the demand I would get donor milk before I'd use formula.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Having been successful at nursing before, I would say I would try my hardest and tap into all the resources that I'm aware of if needed, and would hope to EBF. But I guess I'll never know unless I were to actually have triplets.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would do a combo of both.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I think I would formula feed. I almost wasn't able to nurse my second child because of the pain while nursing. It's 4 years later and I still feel pain when I lay on my stomach.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Knowing my body and the fact that for both my kids I tried to breastfeed and was unsuccessful I would formula feed. Unfortunately the women in my family have always had a lack of flow problem and I had that too so formula feeding was the only choice I had.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would attempt to bf. I actually have a school classmate who had triplets and bf all 3 as much as she could - she did awesome.
    Anonymous

• I think I would do some kind of rotation... tandem feed 2, formula feed the other and they rotate the next feeding (so every 3rd feeding they would get a bottle)

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• A little of both :)
    Kristibeth

Answer by Kristibeth at 11:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I had twins and I breastfed (pumped) the entire time they were in the NICU with some actual on the breast feedings. This was mainly because they couldn't actually feed...then they became lactose intolerant and they had to have soy. I would say IF you can do it, breastfeed but by NO means freak out and think you can't stop. It's better for you to enjoy the babies than to worry about breastfeeding...and I was told to pump and feed them soy milk until they got through the lactose intolerance...yea...I had ZERO time, but if you can...pump and feed it to them.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 3:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2011