How many of you have had a c-section the gave birth vaginally

I had a Cesarean the first time around but now I want to vaginally and I dont know what the odds are.

apeyhen

Asked by apeyhen at 10:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It depends on the reasons for your first C-section.

My son was an emergency C-section. When I was talking with the surgeon that delivered him she gave me a 50/50 chance of delivering VBAC with my daughter. That was not good enough for me so I scheduled the C-section for my daughter. For me it was a good thing. My daughter's head was the same size at birth as her brother's. If I had tried for a VBAC it would have failed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The odds are really good that you can have a nice, safe vaginal delivery-- depending on who you hire.

If you hire a surgeon then you're much less likely to have a vaginal birth.

You may have what you prefer!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My sister in law had a c section for her first child and the dr told her if she had any more children they would also be c sections. She had 2 more children vaginally after her first so if your body can handle it then i dont see why they wouldnt let you have it vaginally.
    shelleyvalois

Answer by shelleyvalois at 10:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Depends on the reason for the c-section in most cases you can especially if it's something not likely to happen again like a breech,cord prolapse,placenta previa and you can have some wiggle room depending on the practitioner(aka anyone who practices pregnancy care) with things like failure to progress and CPD. But obviously if your last c-section was for cardiac arrest or something along those lines it would be a no also if your incision was vertical.
    Odds can be misleading but as long as it's not dangerous based on the reason for your last c-section it should be fine.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 11:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• my daughter was an emergnacy c section and the dr told me with this onw i was going to have to have another c setion..
    alw06tchs

Answer by alw06tchs at 5:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• * MOST women can have a safe(r) vaginal birth after a cesarean.

If your doctor is telling you that you "can't" be sure to get more info.
    ( This is one opinion, coming from a surgeon... )
    Ask for Informed Consent (your legal rights to hear about the options your doctor can offer you, the pros & cons, and risks to both).

We have options.
    Most cesareans are unnecessary.
    Most cesareans are riskier than a vaginal birth--

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2011