how long do I wait to take a pregnancy test if I don't have a period due to breastfeeding?

I haven't had a period in 20 months because I was pregnant and now I'm breastfeeding. My hubby and I are TTC #2 and I want to know how long I should wait until I take a home pregnancy test because I don't know when my "missed period" would be... with my first pregnancy I didn't have any "symptoms" except my lower back would hurt really bad. My lower back always hurts now though just from cleaning and motherhood in general.

iLuVmYMaDiSoN07

Asked by iLuVmYMaDiSoN07 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Since you don't know when you're ovulating, I'd say just test every 3 wks or so -- or you could get an ovulation testing kit first so that you can calculate it out.

My middle boys were born less than 13 mos apart --- I didn't have my period between those pregnancies. We weren't TTC, though.... I just felt something wasn't quite right.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If your period hasn't returned yet, it is going to be next to impossible to determine when you will become fertile again. You're not having your period, which means you're not ovulating, which means you can't get pregnant yet. You will most likely ovulate 12-16 days before your period returns, so you could get pregnant in that window. But since that would be your first ovulation in 20 months, there is no way to predict when that will happen. So, honestly, I'm not sure how practical it is for you to TTC right now. You may just have to wait until your period returns.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would say take one now, and then take another in 1-2 weeks.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• First off, breastfeeding has absolutely nothing to do with your period. Your cycle is messed up in general, because have been pregnant. After giving birth your body needs at least 10months to get back in the old (or new) cycle. So if you think you could be pregnant, but cant tell by period, then you should get a blood test done. or test every few weeks.

good luck.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• m.robertson... Breastfeeding certainly does impact when a woman's cycle returns, particularly if mom nurses exclusively and on demand. And I'm not sure where you got that 10 month rule, but I'd be interested to see your source, because my understanding is that there is no norm. Some women regulate fairly quickly within a couple months of delivery, while others take months or even well beyond a year.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Agree with bluefrogmama. I bled for 3 mos after my son was born and some providers will even go as far to say you don't need birth control if your breastfeeding because you can't get pregnant!!! So not true and I wish they'd quit telling moms that BS.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I'm in a similar situation. If you're really wanting to know, you can take a test 3 weeks after the sex you think might have helped you conceive. I always figured I'd be 5 weeks pregnant at that time, technically a week passed a missed period if it was my fertile time, and the test would be accurate if it was negative.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 6:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You're lucky. I am breastfeeding but, got my period back after about 3 months! Anyway, I would say maybe every two weeks. Just buy the cheap dollar store tests.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008