Okay so you may think I'm really strange but I really want to know

do any of you ladies that are pregnant have weird unusually cravings? I have been having a craving for sand. I know this sounds weird. Not mouthfuls of sand just pinches of sand that I can taste and feel between my teeth. I remember when I was very little and I tried sand like any little kid but I have never craved it and I just wondered if any of you ladies crave something as strange as me.

(this is not a troll this is real that is why I am not posting anon) Oh and don't worry I'm not out in my backyard eating sand LOL

Brandi300

Asked by Brandi300 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Have your iron levels checked
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• your deficient in a vitamin... get it checked sand dirt mud all of those tell your doc
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I take prenatal vitamin....is that not enough? I know I should talk to my doctor my next appointment....he's going to think I'm nuts Lol
    Brandi300

Comment by Brandi300 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It happens...but yes, tell your doctor. And he will not think your nuts. It does usually mean a deficiency, though.
    ImPhoenix

Answer by ImPhoenix at 10:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• when ever u crave sand or chalk or something thats not food. it means ur missing something in ur diet.. talk to your doctor about it

Anonymous

• It is a sign of deficiency. Cravings for inedible things are not normal. If you are getting these types of cravings, then no your prenatal vitamins are probably not enough.
    Anonymous

• My friend craved potting soil! Her neighbor even put fresh soil out in her pot for her! Weird I know, but most people have them. I wanted to lick my boyfriends back! I never told him, but his mom still laughs at it.
    krisnroc

Answer by krisnroc at 10:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• He will not think you're crazy. It is actually a lot more common than you would think. I know several women who have had this happen both while pregnant, and not. Usually, it is a sign of anemia, so ask to have your iron checked. But it can be a deficiency of other things.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Craving non edible items is called pica. It is a common disorder during pregnancy. A prenatal vitamin will cover most of what you need, but sometimes not everything. Your doc will not think you are nuts. He's probably seen it more often than you think.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2011