Son won't stop gagging himself

He's 10 months old and gags himself with his hand on and off throughout the day and he keeps going even if he vomits. We've tried stopping him,telling him no and moving his hands repeatedly and ignoring it to see if he's doing it for attention and no luck with any of those things.

What would cause him to do this? How might we stop it?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 10:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I popped my DDs hand every time she did it, she would give me the evil eye, but she stopped.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Tried it, no luck yet.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• there is stuff you can buy that tastes really, super-duper bad...
    Mavala Stop
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• my daughter does it she has done it for a while but i popped her hands and she stops but she has never done it to the point that shes thrown up i try n stop her after the 1st time she gags...now the only time her hands are in her mouth is if shes teething but i cant stop that but she dont gag herself
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It's a phase. They eventually outgrow it. I wouldn't pop a baby for something that a lot of babies experience, let alone a 10 month old infant.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My daughter does it to keep herself awake or if she wants a bottle. In the beginning she did it all the time just because she thought it was cool. I destracted her by giving her something for her hands like a cookie or toys. He will grow out of it, don't be scared. A 10 month old is to little to be popped, don't do that. Just get him interested in something else.
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 9:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011