How can I get my 1yr old to nap longer? Help please!

My son use to be a decent nap taker. We had the same routine he takes a nap around 10:00am and then around 1:30 or so. We turn on soft music. I don't rock him or give him a bottle I just put him down. He normally does really well. It seems like his naps are getting shorter and shorter. His naps are now lasting about an hour and a half, if I am lucky. I tried just putting him down for an afternoon nap. I thought maybe he was ready for one nap. It didn't help. He still didn't sleep for a long. His naptime routine is the same as his bedtime routine. He sleeps fine at night. He gets up around 7:30-8:30am and goes to bed around 8:00pm. I know that he needs his sleep. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

xiques

Asked by xiques at 2:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the older the kids are, the less sleep they need. there isnt much you can do about it. or he just isnt worn out enough.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• an hour and a half??? must be nice
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 4:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If he wakes at 8:30 he should be going down for a nap at 12 or 12:30. Before naptime make sure he has a lot of activity. At age one they normally have one nap per day. This works great for my son...he always takes a 3-4 hour nap and I value that time for cooking dinner because when they wake you have to be ready to go again. Good Luck!
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 8:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• He may very well be working on dropping the morning nap.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008