If you traded your car in...

Do you think it matters how clean it is? My DH thinks it will make a difference in the trade-in value but I'm not sure. What do you think?

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 11:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• it depends on what you mean by "not clean". Stained carpets/seats/upholstery and things like that yes decreases the value but if you're just talking needs a good vaccum and some hand prints wiped off then no it shouldn't affect anything. You have to consider how much labor needs to go into getting the car into the best condition it can be in to decide how much it's going to affect the value.
    Anonymous

• I would clean it inside and out.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Naw, it shouldn't. Whether you clean it or not they are going to clean and detail it pretty good anyway if they are gonna resell it. I've never cleaned a car to trade it in.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would clean it, just to know we'd gotten our stuff all out. And its like anything else, do you want a stranger walking into your dirty house, no. So I wouldn't want to meet someone new and have them see my car dirty.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yes, the cleaner the better! We looked at cars one time and ours was dirty, they said they'd give us X amount for it. The next time we went in it was spotless inside, and they upped the trade-in value by $1000! Same dealership, same person, same everythign!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes yes, clean the car! Who wants to buy a dirty car?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• They clean and detail the car for you. We traded ours in clean though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011