Dog bite my two year old? ( should she stay or should she go?)

We just got a dog on Friday and my two year old would not leave her alone from the second she came in the door. The dog is a Shitzu and 2 1/2 years old My daughter is 2 1/2 and would try to step on her tail, feet or try to shove food in her face. I didn't see it happen so I don't know what she did but the dog bit her hand and broke skin a little some teeth imprints and scratches. My SO thinks we should just make the dog submissive to the kids every time they want to pet her. I agree but I'm just worried she might bite again and I have a crawling 9 months old she doesn't know any better when it comes to animals. I like the dog shes very sweet until that happened, and listens very well. But my kids safety is much much more important. If the dog is to ever bite again shes gone, but I'm not sure if I shouldn't just give her back now... Any advice of how to handle this situation?

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pets

• My advice won't be very popular, but that's fine with me. I'll gladly be on the opposing side of moms who value a dog more than their babies. I don't even want to know how these people "train" their 2 year old and 9 month old to know how to behave the first time a dog is brought into the home they've lived in everyday of their lives. We have 2 dogs that our family certainly enjoys, but in our home they are dogs. I dont care how threatened they felt, if either of them bite one of my children, they're gone. I won't have a dog that bites my babies. If a choice has to be made, you are responsible for the welfare of your babies first (whether or not you've trained them to be nice to Fluffy.)

What I think would be your best bet is to return the dog. Wait until your kids are a little older and then get a puppy who will be brought up with your kids. A 2 year old dog will have trouble adapting at your house now.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 8:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't have a dog until the kids learn how to treat it.  Sounds like that dog had enough harassment and snapped...

the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 11:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

•  "My SO thinks we should just make the dog submissive to the kids every time they want to pet her."

Will you also be teaching your children how to behave around an animal? Don't punish the dog by getting rid of it just because you have not taught your child the proper way to be around a new pet.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You need to train both your kid and dog!!! I have a 10 week old bulldog and he's been in my house since he was 5 weeks old. We taught him to not put his mouth on the kids and taught our kids to be freaking NICE to the dog. I can let both my dog and my 2 YO roam the house and not worry at this point.

Also your dog needs a SAFE place to go to escape your kids, or they will snap!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• What cueballsmom said!!

Also, (and I'm not bashing), you said yourself that your daughter would not leave the dog alone from the moment she came in the door. Part of bringing a pet home means adding a new member to your family and taking into consideration the WHOLE family. You brought a dog into a brand new environment. Everything was strange. On top of that, a small child was constantly following her, stepping on her, and shoving food in her face. Put yourself in the dog's paws ... would you have settled down and wagged your tail, or nipped someone to warn them to knock it off?

You definitely need to teach your children (including the 9 month old) how to behave around animals and how to treat them if you intend to share your home with them. If you don't, something far worse WILL happen, and in all honesty, it won't be the dog's fault.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Some others have given you good advice. You need to train the kid and the dog to play nice. But you should also NEVER leave the dog and child to play together without adult supervision. And that doesn't mean the kids play on the floor while you are glued to the TV. I mean your eyes actually on them both right there with them.

If you can't supervise, then separate them. You can't expect a dog not to defend itself. This was the adults fault for letting them both be together without making sure both were playing nice. If your children can't learn how to behave around the dog or your just unwilling to always supervise then perhaps the best thing to do is rehome the dog.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Well honestly normally if they bite they will bite again, however in this case, any dog will bite when completely aggravated by a child, some dogs just dont like children at all, but if your child is stepping on the dogs tail etc the dog is seeing that as a threat, the dog was really defending itself, when you get a new pet its extremely imp to explain to children the limits what they can and cant do, not to go up behind a dog, get in its face, annoy it etc..esp when the dog is trying to settle into the home, if your kids are too young to understand you cant have the dog around them constantly right away, they have to get used to the dog supervised with you showing them how the pat and play nicely and the dog has to get used to them, so if it means having the dog in separate areas until everyone is more comfortable, you have to explain the dog isnt a toy, and most no dog is going to submit to any old treatment.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Boy..I see a few rude responses on her. I'd say more than a few dogs on this site need some training in common courtesy! Anyway, as far as keeping the dog..I'm not sure it's appropriate to have around if it isn't safe, in any instance..unless you believe that your daughter can learn how to handle and play gently, and at 21/2 that can be difficult. Small children are usually very impulsive, and if you are in any way worried about her safety, I'd say the dog goes.
    I was about 5 yrs old, and I got bit twice in the face by our cocker spaniel that my dad picked up from a lady who was selling them infront of a grocery store. I didn't think I was doing anything harmful, but at the time I was pretending to eat food from the dog bowl(bad idea apparently). First time I had stitches done at the hospital, second time in an urgent care. After that the dog was given to the humane society. I was just having fun playing, or so I thought...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Maybe now that she's been bit once, she'll know to give the pup a little bit more space until they become friends.. It will take a while and a little bit of patience, but if a dog feels threatened, she will give off warning signs that she's uncomfortable and going to bite. Don't let this one mishap change your opinion on the dog, she is a dog, and she does dog things, biting when threatened is one of them. Just take your time with her and your dh, they both need to learn how to act around each other. I'm sure with some time and love, you'll end up being one big blended happy family
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 2:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would not punish the dog for what the child did. That poor dog was being harrassed and probably gave the child some warnings before biting. You failed to watch your child closely and to teach the child how to treat an animal. No I would not get rid of the dog for defending itself.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:42 AM on Jun. 13, 2011