Summer elec bills

Is it better to leave the a/c turned on all day, through the 100 afternoons OR turn it off, or up to like 90?
We leave the house at 7am and come back usually around 6. We were home today and the high was 92, I just now turned on the a/c because it was still 90 at 8:30, wanted to be able to sleep confortable tonight.
With the cieling fans, I set it at like 83 - 82 for the night.
I live in Texas, if that matters. So, I'm wondering which would be better, like we did today? To turn it off and then back on later. Or should we have kept it on all day set at 80 something?

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Definitely leave it ON ..
    I live in Bellville...it's scorching here now.
    Your poor ac unit has to work so hard to cool all that back down....just leave it set on like 85 or 83 , so it doesn't have so far to cool down. By turning it off...everything is heating up all day long, the walls, the floors, the ceilings etc....it's just so much harder for ac to cool all that back down.
    We bought a backyard swimming pool yesterday...we GAVE IN, LOL....we just can't deal with these high temps so early here AGAIN!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I have mine set to cool the house to 85 while we're gone during the day, and set to turn lower before we get home. I keep it at 75 when we're home during the day.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I hear it takes a LOT of electricity to RECOOL the house back down, if that makes sense. I live in Florida and I just run it all day so it stays even temp.
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 12:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I'm out west of SA and it's hot here too. I wait until it reaches 90 to turn it on also. I'm glad you asked this, cause Ive been wondering too. . I keep it 84 in the house after I turn it on and we sleep very comfortable.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I live in south TX. I keep the A/C ON! At 78 degrees and keep the ceiling fans going. letting it heat up just takes more energy for it to cool down. Pick your comfort temp and let it stay. iI the long run, you will save
    MyasNanNa

Answer by MyasNanNa at 3:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• ouch i cant imagine your bills...eeekk
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My SO and I just had this argument this morning. He is turning the air OFF and outside temps are high 90s. So it is miserable when I get home from work around 6:30pm. I told him to keep the air ON all day at about 80.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2011