Would someone just tell me what they'd do in this situation? PLEASE?!

So here's how the day went....everyone was up by 6am, went to church at 10, came home and all my kids passed out at 4:30....they've been doing this lately but they've been sleeping through the night. So tonight they decided to turn it into a nap. They woke up at 8 and I've been putting them back to bed for an hour now....out of bed, put em back in....the cycle repeats. They don't get it. I'm getting seriously upset. So what do you do????????? Do I let them be horrible monster children(lol) until 7-8pm? Do I let them go to sleep and when they wake up just put them back down? HELP! I have to get them on some sort of constant bed time or I'm going to go berzerk!

PS, I have 4 ages 4 and under.

BeachyBabe

Asked by BeachyBabe at 12:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm pretty sure I'd eat a bullet rofl

God Bless ya Momma! I'll pray for ya!
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Tonight you just have to wait it out. Tomorrow you put them down for a nap right after lunch. No more than an hour or so. Bedtime 7:30-8:00. If they fight the nap..they don't fall asleep later. You'll have to fight through it for a few days but they will slip into the routine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• you need a schedule, one that includes a nap (say, 4:30- dinner) and then a routine for bed time - bath, story, snack, bed. after a couple of nights/weeks, it will become a normal part of the day. the only trick is sticking with it; if you change it even a little it can mess the whole thing up. you have to do what's right for you though, i would just find a routine that fits your life and include a nap here and there.

good luck; you're a brave soul having 4 under 4. (i'm actually jealous!)
    AllisonWD

Answer by AllisonWD at 12:19 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The problem is, is they are no longer tired at that time, so it's even more of a struggle. I'm talking about HOURS on end that I'd be putting them back to bed. With the other two, I can't just sit there because the baby is 10 months and the 4 year old RARELY takes any sort of a nap.
    BeachyBabe

Comment by BeachyBabe (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• No naps after 2:30-3:00pm. The four year old may not need a nap anymore but a hour rest period reading a book, watching a movie etc but it has to be quiet. Make a routine of lunch and then down time for all by 1pm. Make the room as dark as possible put on soft music and mabey rub backs. It may take a week or two to set this in motion but if you are consistant and do not back down it will work. The trick is sticking to the schedule. Have all children ready for bed by 7:30 and in bed by 8pm. Good luck :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Do not let them "pass out" after 3 pm...if they fall asleep fill up the bathtub and wake them up and get them playing in the tub...it will give them that second wind until 7 and then bedtime also make sure their bedrooms are pitch black so no morning sun can come in so all they know is a night light.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree with the other posters. No naps late in the afternoon and certainly none that last to almost bed time. I know if *I* drift off to sleep in the afternoon I am messed up at night. I can't get to sleep and then I hit the "overtired" mark where you're body craves sleep but you can't find it. My kids are the same way. When they're getting tired and it's after 1-ish, we look for calm, quiet things to do and then seek an earlier than normal bed time. they're more apt to sleep through if they go to bed an hour early than if they take a late nap.

Both my kids gave up their names around 2 1/2 years old. Your 4 yr old may be rarely napping because she' outgrown them. If she's tried or getting cranky, use a little down time with a quiet activity. But don't let her drift off to sleep late in the day.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My 5 and 7 year old don't do naps. But after lunch is "me" time. In your room, on your bed with a video game or book.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Try quiet/nap time after they eat lunch. It should last at least an hour, if they sleep great, if not oh well. Do not let them sleep past 3 or sleep longer than 2 hours (except maybe the baby). Try to keep them as busy as possible so they don't fall asleep. If they do happen to fall asleep after 3, only let them sleep 30 minutes. Good luck.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2011