Facebook's "People You May Know"

A friend of mine on Facebook shared a link with me and I went to my FB profile page to look at it. On the right side of the screen it sometimes has an area "People You May Know" with a couple of profiles there.

Right now one of them is the sister of a guy I am friends with (both he and his wife)...so two mutual friends. The other is another person that I know, but no mutual friends.

Would this mean that this person has been doing a search of my name? Or that they are using my name in their posts (their wall is private)? I've honestly just never had someone without a mutual friend show up there and...especially considering I'm not comfortable with this person seeing my page...it's kind of freaking me out a little.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 12:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Technology

• Did you just click the X or did you go to her profile and block her? If you use the block she won't see you at all, won't even be able to search you. On the other hand, you won't be able to see her either.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It did that to me too. It keeps suggesting this girl who I took ONE class with in college and we have no mutual friends. I have no idea how it knows I know her. It may be because we listed the same school, but in that case it would be suggesting thousands of people to me from that school but nope, just her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If you have your high school, college, employeers listed, then it is probably assuming you may know them from one of those places if he or she has the same info listed too.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The thing is...we have nothing the same. She's my daughter's BMom. I'm 38, she's 22. We live in the same state, but 3 hours apart. Never employed at the same company, never went to the same schools. I've went through her friend list and I've never heard of any of them.

I hit the X so that she won't show up for me and I won't show up for her...hoping I haven't already. I know this sounds horrible, but this is just really weird for me to see her on my page like that. We have an open adoption (updates, visits) and I don't say anything on FB that I would mind if she read, but yet I'm not comfortable with her reading our daily activities either.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Just because they are suggested as friends doesn't mean they can see your profile or posts if you have them set to friends only. If you don't want to be friends with them, just ignore it.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 5:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• it probably shows that person because they might have went to the same school you went to, etc
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 11:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011