My son will be celebrating his first birthday this week and I had a question on cake. What is the best cake for him to consume? I am not sure about the sugar or dairy content in cakes for him. He is exclusively bf and given pureed foods about 2X/day. I read somewhere about beet cake? Any thoughts?

KarenHNY

Asked by KarenHNY at 12:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow! He should be eating table food by now! :/
    TylersMommy0808

Answer by TylersMommy0808 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You could make an applesauce cake. And I agree with TylersMommy, I think he should be eating solids by now, what does your pediatrician say?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/applesauce-cake-recipe/index.html Applesauce cake

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/blc125.htm chocolate beet cake

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/recipe-makeovers/healthy-carrot-cake-recipe-makeover-00412000070625/ healthier carrot cake

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• WOW still pureeing his food?? Unless there is a medical reason he should be eating table food by now??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes I think he should definitely be eating real foods by now, and if he hasn't ever had any kind of solid food yet, don't let cake (whatever kind it is) be the first thing you introduce!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• real, fattening, sugar loaded cake isn't going to kill him if he has it once for his birthday. It's not like he's having it day in and day out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thank you to the ladies for the helpful comments. I will choose to ignore the judgmental comment(s) at this juncture. I do five him rice cakes and cheerios(baby kind) during throughout the day. I plan on giving him table foods (like rice and chicken) soon but really had worries about dairy and eggs allergy. I know many woman who choose to exclusively bf as a means of nutrition and according to my pediatrician there is no mandatory guideline as to what age babies should be eating solids. As we all very well know, all babies are different and so are parenting styles. Again thank you to the ladies that have provided me with helpful comments.
    KarenHNY

Comment by KarenHNY (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• For my oldest I made an applesauce carrot cake, with my other 4 I had calmed down the first time mom jitters and they just had a regular cake. But they had been on non pureed table foods since around 8 months.

Answer by missanc at 12:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Parents who exclusively bf is not for nutrition! They can get the nutrition from food. Exclusively bfing is more for the mother than the child. Some just dont know how to cut the cord! When a child can walk up to you, lift up your shirt , grab your boob and put it in his/her mouth, its time to stop!!!
    TylersMommy0808

Answer by TylersMommy0808 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I am surprised that your Pediatrician is not emphasizing the child's need for whole foods. Have you discussed his diet with his Doctor? You are doing him a disservice by not feeding him regular foods. This may effect his eating habits later in life. Start with adding one food at a time and give it for 3 days. If there is no reaction then he is not allergic. Please speak to your Pediatrician about this. He is a big boy now & should be eating regular foods including an occasoional Birthday cake.

Anonymous

• I am also very surprised that your Pediatrician is not emphasizing the child's need for whole foods!! I would like to meet the doctor that thinks it's OK to still be on a liquid diet at age one, unless there is some medical reason the child can not chew his food by now. You can easily avoid things like nuts, eggs and dairy and still have the child on solid foods by now.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011