How to choose the right religion and church?

Growing up we never went to a steady church. I have no idea how to figure out what religion I am. Am I a christian because my family is? I am just really confused on the whole religious thing. Like I believe in God, but how do I know that the bible I read or see is actually the writing of God and not some guy off the street? How do you know what you hear and what you read is what you should believe. I believe there is a heaven and a hell. My dh is a christian, but I'm just confused on where I belong!! I have tried talking to people that i know but all they seem to do is try to get me to go to the church they go to. I just want to know how do i know where i belong in the whole Religious matter!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Make sure they are following the Word of God.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 3:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• How do you know the bible was written by God through men? Here's your sign. Do you HONESTLY think that a sinner man would write all those things? Ha!! lol nooo. It would be about reading playboy, cussing and football if God wasn't involved..No man alone could come up with all of that. I think you need to go to a non denominational...A bible based church. Try it.
    Anonymous

• Well, for starters, it's okay to not have a religion. Maybe you can consider that as one of your options. If you feel a really strong need to affiliate yourself with a religious group, think of it like shopping for a new car. Every dealership is going to tell you their's is the best. But you have to trust yourself. Test drive them all and pick the one that feels right to you, the one that feels like home.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You really need to start by talking to God. Then you can start researching different Christian beliefs. It's ok to just be a Christian. You don't NEED a religion. Religion is man-made (and I believe some of the traditions are as well).

We are going through the same thing and I think we're leaning more towards Baptist...but we aren't declaring ourselves that. We just want to follow the whatever is closest to the Bible.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Okay I'm lost....also forgot to mention religion totally confuses me! For example, I was told, think it was jesus, if im not mistaken, wasnt he Jewish? Shouldnt we also be jewish then? How was so many religions discovered? Was it that someone woke up one day and said I think im Catholic (for an ex.) so I will start the religion catholic. I'm sorry im just really confused! And dont know to go to get my questions answered!
    Anonymous

• Learn Latin, Greek, and ancient Hebrew.

Travel to the Holy Lands, haunt musuems,study scrolls and ruin your eyesight.

OR

Take a very small step of faith that Bible was NOT written by "some guys off the street" but that it is (if not divinely inspired) at least not a bad way to live your life. Read it. Get "The Message" or an easier text if that helps. Then open your yellow pages up to CHURCHES and start at "A" and go to "Z". Since you are comfortable on CafeMom, you can do a fair amount of research on the internet regarding what the various Protestant factions believe. Find one that seems to fit and go for it. Attend at least three services to get a good grasp of who's who and what's what. If you have children, check to make sure they have a thriving youth program.

As for "where you belong" - only you can answer that and it takes time and maturity and patience to do so. Gotta start somewhere though!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• www.beliefnet.com

It's a wonderful UNBIASED site with basic core information on nearly every religion out there ~~ all branches of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Taoism, Buddhism, Hindusim, Jainism, Pagan, Scientology, Unitarian --- you name it, it's there.

There are communities, forums, articles, Q&A sections -- anything anyone would need.

Try the Belief-O-Matic while you're there. It asks a lot of questions regarding religion & you rate the 'importance' each issue is to you, and you get a list of what % you fall into each religion. Could give you a starting point on your research.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• But how do you know that what the Bible says now a days is the truth? And that someone didnt add their own beliefs in it?
    Anonymous

• In any used bookstore you can find a well-used and pretty cheap "World Religions" book. Or, you can do many, many searches on the internet.

That will help as well.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes Jesus was Jewish, but it was also the Jews that put him to his death. The Jews don't believe that Jesus was the Son of God and died on the cross, and rose again. They're still waiting for the Messaiah.

I agree with someone above, check out beliefnet
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2008