2-year old poo issues

ok, seriously...poo is gross and will always be gross...but I need help. My sweet baby girl who never gets sick has been horribly constipated for the past couple days. We're doing potty training right now and I think she's not as willing because it hurts her to try to go to the potty.

We've tried high fiber foods.
We've tried tons of liquid.

Next step will be a laxative or stool softener, but I've been trying to do more and more things the most organic way possible...so I was wondering...other than bringing her to the doctor (I knew how to do that. lol) and giving her meds (laxatives) could I do for her.

newmom2bgtwins

Asked by newmom2bgtwins at 2:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son has some major constipation issues too....
    Right now he is getting... 1 4oz glass of prune juice with pulp, 5mL of flax seed oil (we have some that is flavored, he LOVES it) and 5 drops of chlorophyll daily
    And we try to make sure he poops at least once/day or he gets so backed up he starts to refuse going :(
    If my son gets really back up... sometimes he'll refuse to go for days then we break out the miralax and he gets 1-2 teaspoons/day mixed in with his prune juice until he has large results.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I know this sounds weird, but try sticking a rectal thermometer or a Q tip inside her anus. The stimulation can sometimes bring explosive relief. This is something we used to try in the clinic before going as far as a suppository. I hope she feels better soon!! Keep pushing the liquids!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• try putting a diaper or pull up on her for a few hours and see if she goes then.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 2:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Give her some fruit to eat too to help. Be careful not to push her too hard to use the potty to poop, because it could make her stress and hold it in. That can cause serious problems. That actually happened to my little niece who held hers in so long that she only pooped a little. She actually had old feces as hard as a rock that was built up. I'll spare you the details, but she was lucky enough to go to the Dr. and get something to help, but she almost had to have surgery. Good luck! :0)

Moms helping Moms Work from Home. Learn how: http://www.workathomeceos.com/tools4mom
    tools4mom

Answer by tools4mom at 2:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• A pharmist can be a guide sometimes, when my son had that problem when he was not even 1, we gave him a stool softner, I would not do to much, see how it goes, but if you see any blood or any other issues, bring her into the doctor right away.
    Good luck!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• my son has a ton of problems pooping and has for about 6 months. I took him to dr numerous times and they just told me to try to potty train him? It didn't make sense but they did tell me to buy some liquid mangnesium. It was like a very bubbly soda and told me to give him 1 tsp of it. Seemed to help and bit. And I found out that my son LOVES grapes and that is a great natural laxative. I just let him eat however much he wants when he gets constipated and with in 2 hrs he usually poops big time and easily. Good luck momma. I feel for you and your lil girl.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I did and she went, but it was barely anything and she hasn't gone in 2 days
    newmom2bgtwins

Comment by newmom2bgtwins (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• we've done a suppository and it barely made her poop...poor baby just kept saying 'Mommy, what are you doing?' when I was putting it in. I can tell it's hurting her. When she did poop 2 days ago it was as hard as rocks...and it was from dinner (don't ask) the night before that.
    newmom2bgtwins

Comment by newmom2bgtwins (original poster) at 2:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My twins were eating a TON of grapes at my mom's house recently and it never seemed to help her much. Maybe if I back it up with some grape or pear juice it'll help. lol Thanks :)
    newmom2bgtwins

Comment by newmom2bgtwins (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011