5yo w/Headache

DD complained about her head hurting when we were putting her to bed at 9pm. I told her to go to sleep and if it was there when she woke up, I'd give her Tylenol (she loves them, so she sometimes pretends). She woke up around midnight crying saying her head hurt. I gave her 3 Tylenol melt-aways and finally got her back to sleep. She woke up again around 1am crying saying her head hurt. I held her and rubbed her back until she feel asleep. Then just before 2am, she woke again. I was in her room this time and saw her...she awoke with a start like she woke from a bad dream and then started crying saying her head "really really hurts bad." I finally brought her downstairs and within minutes she vomited. Took her temp and no fever.

Now she's lying on the couch watching Tom and Jerry and when I ask her if her head still hurts, she just looks miserable and shrugs. So she's doing better now it seems.

But when I was holding her in her bedroom and she was crying about how bad her head hurt 2 hours after I gave her Tylenol, I was *this close* to getting dressed and taking her to the ER.

In a case like this...how do you know when to rush to the hospital or when to say "lay back down and sleep it off"...?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 2:09 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Hugs! Both my middle son and I suffer from headaches, and I know how painful and long they can be. Since she was crying and had complained many times I would treat this as a serious headache (and not just a ploy for tylenol) and I would call her doctor and have it checked out. My friend swears by gatorade- when she feels a migrane coming on she drinks gatorade and she says that helps her . I have never tried it, so I don't know if it does work or not. One thing that helps me is to relax in a warm bath, and then go rest in a cold, dark room. I hope your little one gets relief and feels better soon!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would definitely take her and she her ped doc. Its rare, but its possible she may have had a migraine. Its possible to still have one and not be sensitive to light. My DH niece is 12 and her1st migraine when she was 7
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think when it goes on for several hours then I'd go. Maybe just keep a close eye on her and wait and see what happened in the morning, unless of course things get worse before then. The fact that she vomited is kind of scary...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If it happens again, take her to the ER. Headaches that severe can be signs of serious problems. If the headache is better now, I would still take her to her pediatrician as soon as possible and ask him to find out what is wrong.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 5:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2011