Do I have to give a two week notice?

I babysit for a little girl and her mom told me earlier this week that she may be quiting her job soon. So I posted an ad to find a new child to babysit and I got many responses. Well I met with a few of these families on my day off and I plan to start babysitting some next week. The reason I dont want to continue with the current family is because she pays less and is always rude to me. She hasnt quit her job yet so she obviously still needs me. But I cant watch that many kids in my home. My husband said to quit on Friday but I would feel horrible. I dont want to leave her with no sitter. But am I required to give a two weeks notice? Is a one week notice enough?

YoungMomtoGirls

Asked by YoungMomtoGirls at 3:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Money & Work

• in the real world 2wk notice is what you would so and in respect for her i would give her 2wks shes going to have to find anohter sitter and remember if you make her mad and leave her with no sitter she is liable to tell people who call her for a reference that you just up and quit. you wouldnt like it if someone was watching your kid and just up and quit.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You are not required to give any notice. I would treat the situation the same as you would want to be treated.
    Anonymous

• one week is enough i think esp. when you can't sit and wait for her to decide... at least it's a notice... it's more than what i got a couple of times...
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• See I wasnt planning on finding another job this quickly. I thought it would take awhile and by the time I would have started a new job she would have quit. I would like to tell her that next week is my last week but wasnt sure if that would give her enough time to find someone else.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 3:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would let her know at least a weeks notice, if not two. She needs time to line up someone else in case she doesn't get fired/laid off. Remember, if you are a licensed provider and are doing things legally, you are only allowed so many children in your home. You want to make yourself look good so that they will give you a good name and possibly use you as a reference when someone else is looking for a babysitter. You don't want her to go around telling other mother's that you just bailed on her. Doesn't look good for your future clientele.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If she told you she was going to quit her job, yes 1 week is fine. You have to think of yourself and your family first. She should have told you I am going to quit on such and such day and I will no longer need you after such and such date. You don't just tell someone you're going to quit and leave them hanging, you need to eat too!! One week is fine, I'm sure she can find someone in one week to watch her child.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 5:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Thanks for the advice ladies. But I wont be faced with having to do anything because she came today and told me "By the way I put in my two weeks on Monday, Sorry I forgot to tell you". So she will only be here next week and then she is done.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 10:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2008