Questions and necessary supplies for exclusive pumping

I'm looking into it as an option because for various reasons I am uncomfortable with breastfeeding but I do like the idea of giving them the colostrum and kind of slowing weaning to formula over about 4 months. I say slowly to be nicer to me as well as them because I tend to be an overproducer and weaning was hell last time but I do stil like the idea of giving them a little breast milk in the newborn period. If there is gaps in my supply I'm fine with using formula but I just feel like I want to try this to see if it works for us.

I have some questions on what supplies are needed for exclusive pumping? While I'm sure that for the first feeding we'll need to use formula,when would be a good time to initiate pumping during the hospital stay?
Any help would be appreciated thank you.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes start pumping right away. also, call hospital and speak with a lactation expert.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 2:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You should start pumping immediately. The more you pump, the more your supply will grow. As I am sure you know since it sounds like you have bf before.
    Hopefully your hospital will have a lactation consultant, they helped me immensely!

It's all about what kind of pump you get. The best is Medela, but any hospital-grade DOUBLE electric will work.
    Do not get a single, manual or a weak electric, your supply will dwindle because it might not be powerful enough.
    I cannot stress this enough!
    Beyond that the basics are:
    Bottles
    Storage caps for your bottles and freezer bags for stocking up extra milk.
    Nipple Cream
    Breast pads
    Large pot for boiling/sterilizing all equipment
    Nipple cream (Lanolin)
    Several extra "membranes" because they are tiny and always get lost!
    There are numerous cleaning products and extras that are not exactly necessary but nice to have if budget allows.
    http://breastfeeding.hy
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 3:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Go to this link, it makes a lot more sense than what I just rambled about!

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/pumps101.html
    and good luck mama!
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 3:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2011