Dairy free birthday cake and frosting recipe

Does anybody know any goods one's? It's for a first birthday party for my son so I'm looking for something kid friendly and somewhat inexpensive to make.

I'd also like ice cream substitute suggestions to go with cake if you have them, like what flavor's good and what kind(soy,coconut,almond) is good for that age group and doesn't have a weird flavor?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 3:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Preferably one without random vinegar in it.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 3:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I really have not seen cake or frostings (except for the whipped cream frosting or cream cheese frosting) that really have dairy in them. It just is not usually there. Most cakes are flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, and some kind of flavoring. Frostings are usually sugar and some sort of fat like Crisco but therer are lots of variations. I don't think you will have any problem finding lots of recipes or even mixes that are dairy free. For ice cream I like the coconut based ice creams but they are more expensive than regular ice cream.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 7:10 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• All the one's I've ever made had butter and milk.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Most cake mixes do contain dairy...my neighbor always makes gluten free/dairy free brownies for her little girl when she has a party. She uses a dairy free butter that she gets at the local nature store...it's really good! IDK what brand she uses but they are good! Most of the mixes are expensive but will be worth it if your little one can't have dairy. You could use sherbet instead of ice cream, or just don't serve it...we never do.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think that there is a Tofutti brand of cream chesse. You could blend it with some margarine and lots of powdered sugar (and a pinch of vanilla), for a dairy-free frosting. (Tofutti is tofu-based).

You could also use smart balance 9or margerine), powdered sugar, and vanilla for a more traditional taste.

In the cake, just use the margerine instead of butter. Milk can either be substuted with water of a lesser amount or vanilla soymilk.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011