What are some things (food, drinks, etc.) to avoid while breastfeeding?

Also, is it ok to dye your hair and breastfeed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Avoid spicy food!!! I know that much im not pregnant yet but my older sister breast fed and my nephew always had a tummy ache when she ate something spicy. I think the rule is to not eat anything you couldnt eat while you were pregnant.
    jmathis11

Answer by jmathis11 at 3:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• DD spit up every time I had citrus, so I avoided that. There is nothing you need to avoid - food wise - unless your LO has problems from what you're eating. I don't think hair dye passes into milk, but it's always good to ask your LC about things like this.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Absoutely!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You ONLY avoid that which causes a reaction. I ate EVERYTHING including spicy foods and citrus; no issues.

The actual rule is: Bye bye pregnancy restrictions. You may do EVERYTHNG you did pre-preg. Including beauty treatments. Nothing off-limits except getting drunk... but technically that's ALWAYS off limits.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• yes you can dye your hair, i did it couple of times and it's fine. Just no alcohol
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• oh also limit your caffine
    Amy2079

• You can drink alcohol, just in small amounts. It's out of your breastmilk as soon as it's out of your blood stream. So, for example, if you nurse and then immediately drink a small glass of wine or a beer, by the time you need to nurse again, it's out of your breastmilk. You can drink more if you plan to skip a feeding (and feed expressed breastmilk or formula).

Caffeine should be limited, but it should always be limited.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I avoided caffeine majorly! Kept my DS up all night one time...NOT FUN!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2011