Could my 3 week old daughter be sensitive to my breastmilk?

I am exclusively breasteeding my 3 week old daughter. She spits up a lot after I feed her. I kind of think she is not just spitting up but throwing up most of the time. The milk most of the time is really thick and comes out of her mouth and nose. And it seems like so much. I'm worried. I am gonna take her to the doctor this afternoon but I was just wondering what are some of yall's thoughts on this? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its VERY rare to have a child sensitive to breast milk. She have have whats called acid relux and its not serious. Alot of babies have this condition and doesn't last for long after meds are introduced. My dd doc gave me ranitidine or "zantac' and it lasted just for a few days and she fine.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• sounds like she may have a problem with dairy proteins in your milk. thank goodness you are nursing! the dairy free formulas are as high as $26 a can! its an easy fix, you'll just have to cut out dairy in your diet. hope she feels better soon!!
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 3:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• *may have
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It sounds more like reflux to me, which is wayyy more common than a sensitivity to breastmilk.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I've heard of allergies to farmula, I'm not familliar to having allergies to breast milk, however it must be possible, going to speak to a doctor is the best thing, good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 4:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The baby can have allergies to something you are eating. If you are an avid dairy person you may need to cut back or eliminate it from your diet. That is most common. LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My DD had reflux and spit up like that. And she also was sensitive to regular milk. We had to change formula several times. Good luck!
    MGR09

Answer by MGR09 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You have to get those air bubbles out. She also might be lactose intolerant.

loleah

Answer by loleah at 10:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• She could have reflux or she could be sensitive to something in your diet. If your pediatrician doesn't get to the bottom of this or wants you to switch to formula, I'd get the opinion of a GI doctor before moving to formula. Sometimes, the regular pediatricians don't treat reflux as aggressively as it needs to be done. (The meds can have bad side effects and they don't want to try more than one or two.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• well, it sounds like one of two things since you didn't mention any kind of bowel disturbances. either you need to burp her more or she has gerd. my son had gerd and it was a mess lol. you can ask the dr. if they think that is a possibility
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011