I am exclusively breast feeding...

I pump very rarely but the milk is practically going to waste because I never give a bottle to my baby. I am really just worried about nipple confusion. I know if I pumped and gave my baby a bottle it would give me a bit of a break sometimes but I really don't wanna confuse her. So does anyone know what the chances of nipple confusion would be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sister in law breast feeds my nephew...he actually HATES bottles. He likes it right from the tap. She says its difficult to get him to drink from a bottle, but he does when he gets hungry and shes not there.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It depends on baby's age. After the first month or so the chances go down significantly. My older dd went back and forth never experiencing nipple confusion, then my younger dd flat out refused a bottle altogether.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 3:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• you can donate any unused milk, check out the organization eats on feets!
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 3:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I have 3 kids and have breast feed 2 of them. One child i gave a bottle to right away and that one took the bottle and then didn't want me. The other i waited on a bottle until he got older. He did both. I think you have to wait a few months before they don't get nipple confusion.
    sandy630

Answer by sandy630 at 4:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• With my 1st, I EBF and she never took a bottle. So, with the baby I have now, I MUST go back to work, so at a week old, I let her try a bottle so she could get used to it. I worried about nipple confusion too, but right now, we only give her 1 bottle a day and so far she has not had a problem going back & forth from the bottle to my nipple. I do worry when I go back to work full time and she has to have 5 bottles during the day at daycare, she may not want my nipple. So, I guess my advice for right now, is to just start off slowly with the bottles. But, if she does not ever go back to my nipple, I will still pump and give her breast milk in the bottle.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It depends on the baby, my son didn't have an issue with it. You totally need to rest, otherwise you can't pump.
    good luck to you!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:42 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The percentage of babies that actually have the problem is TINY. Not necessary to get baby used to a bottle; AB Peterson might find her daughter rejects the bottle once she's at work. It happens. But no baby will starve herself.

A bottle won't really give you a break, since you have to pump for it. If you want a break, dump a chore in dad's lap.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think nipple confusion is common, I felt the same as you do, I breast feed exclusively. Try a cup? this works for us
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 11:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Experts say after baby is 6 weeks the chance of nipple confusion goes down, since they're "well seated" with the breast. As for the pumped milk, put it in the freezer! If nothing else, save it for mixing into solids when baby starts solids, or for putting in a sippy cup when baby is older or weans.
    Anonymous

• BF all 3 of mine and pumped as well and none of them had confusion
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011