Toddler with Type 1 Diabetes

We just found out late last month that my DD Sarah who is 2 yrs 4 months old has Type 1 Diabetes. Which means lot's of shots and lots of pokes. It totally sucks. But for the most part she is very resilient and a happy girl and just requires a kiss after she get's an owie.
My question is more of some advice reqlly. Is there anything anyone can think of that would help her to lead a little better life. I don't want her to be thought of as somone with a disability of some sort. I want her to lead a full fledge life of fun and happiness but having to stop every hour or so of playing and get blood checked and then to eat something...it kinda sucks...

cpittaz

Asked by cpittaz at 3:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am very familiar with diabetes. First, don't THINK of it as a disability. She just has to do some extra things to stay healthy and happy. Tell her that too if she asks. She will develop an ability to withstand pokes and pricks which will amaze you. Don't feel sorry for her she can sense pity and she doesn't need to be pitied, just to have her sugar regulated. Keep your chin up. There will come times when she will challenge you and the routine just as kids resist anything. Treat these challenges calmly but just stick to your guns and make sure you test enough and keep her healthy. Also, there is research being done now with the transplantation of a healthy pancreas to actually CURE the condition. There is hope that this will become a reality before your child is a teen. There is also an insulin pump which is currently available although she may have to be older to get it. It basically eliminates the need for shots
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 4:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• PS--Get in touch with the American Diabetes Foundation and they should be able to provide you with tons of info on managing diabetes in a small child and set you up with support groups in your area too. You can do this--it will get to be second nature for you both.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 4:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I don't know a whole lot about Type 1, but I had a boyfriend when I was in highschool that had it. I had NO idea until we had been dating for a month or so, he just ate a little differently but it wasn't any big deal. I was surprised when he told me. There was very little difference between him and the rest of us.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It's not a disability. Don't underestimate the disease but try to take it in stride. Remember, she's a PERSON with diabetes, not just a diabetic. Treat her as normally as possible - we diabetics appreciate that! Good luck.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 4:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Exactly, she is a child that just happens to have diabetes. It will be more work for you and the other adults in her life, but you will just need to do prep work so that she can do everything just like her peers. When we go out we look online to see if we can get carb info at restaurants and we have a calorie king book with lots of info in it. My son eats cake and ice cream at parties, etc., I just have to pay attention to what he eats and plan around them. As I said, more work and stress for us but I feel it is just as important to treat the emotional needs of the kids as I do the medical.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011