If you had a C section the first time, do you have to the second time?? Hypothetically....

I know this a q to ask my dr, I just found out I am pregnant and don't have insurance until next month (bad unplanned timing I guess). I had to have a C the first time because dd was breech, no amniotic fluid and my water broke when they gave me meds to stop the contractions. They TRIED turning her (which I don't remember) but because it wasn't anthing I had do I have to have another C?? It's like 36 weeks away but I can't help wondering!!!

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 4:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Health

• I don't think that would make a difference to be honest, think it's up to the baby! And the fluid of course :) Congratz!!! X x
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 4:50 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Most people opt to have another c-section, however you can have a VBAC, they are becoming alot more common, there are some Dr's that wont do them however I think you will find most will, its really upto you and what you want to do then you find a Dr that will accomodate, there will be some circumstances in which they will tell you that you shouldnt have a VBAC these are all things to discuss with your Dr.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It really depends on your doctor and what he/she is comfortable doing. On rare occasions there are problems with a vaginal birth after C-section, but most of the time it goes fine. As I said, it depends on whether your particular dr feels like taking the chance. Have a great pregnancy and a happy delivery, either way!
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 4:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• When I was going to my birthing classes my midwife told the class that if you have one c-section, all following births will be done as c-sections also. I don't know if it just depends on the hospital though
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• No you do not have to have another. If you get the right doctor to let you try a vaginal birth. I had my first c-section my second vaginal.

Answer by louise2 at 6:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• NO you do not HAVE to.

Some factors may make it easier for you to have a VBAC (time between pregnancies, reason for csection, etc). It may depend on your dr and hospital, but if you want one badly enough, you should have no problem getting a vbac
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You do not have to by any means. My first was a c-section because he was face up (he was position spine to spine with me) His chin was hanging up on my pelvis and my pelvic opening was to small for him to pass that way. I was all about trying a VBAC with my second. Well, she was int he same position. They gave me a 20% chance of being successful at a vbac so I decided that those odds were not good enough and chose the repeat c-sec. I didn't HAVE to. They said it was my choice and they would do whatever I desired but it was not recommended. So go into it knowing you have to opportunity to have a vaginal birth if you desire and the baby is in a position to do so. Every pregnancy is different!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think it would all depend on how the baby is positioned, your pelvis, the baby size, and how everything looks to the doctor. Some women are able to do VBAC, and others end up with repeat C-sections. In my case all 3 of mine were c-sections (#2 and 3 planned ones) But in my case it was due to baby size and my pelvis size.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2011