Oral herpes(cold sores) v Genital herpes? adult content

They are both Herpes...just different strains....so why is it perfectly okay to walk around with a blister on your mouth...which you got from someone else in some way...but if you have genital herpes your gross or your stupid or a slut...whatever? I cannot wrap my head around this at all!! Cold sores can be passed on to the genitals through oral sex so why is the 1 so much more worse then the other? They are the same thing just different strains...any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Health

• Because its about sex...and this country has never entirely escaped the Puritan part of its origins. Sure, oral herpes *can* be passed on by oral sex, but (more) often people have contracted the virus that causes it before they are sexually active anyhow, or they get it later from more conventional sources. But there is only one way to get genital herpes, and that's by having unprotected sexual contact with an infected partner...which is generally seen negatively by society. While I don't think genital herpes or another STD makes someone a slut (1 in 4 people have or have had an STD in the US), I do think it means that too many people have been careless or unthinking in their sexual activities.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Sometimes there is no way of knowing. I was with my ex for 5 yrs. we were in a monogamous relationship and after a few months started having unprotected sex. He gave me genital herpes. I was not sleeping around as I have gotten that question by people. we were in a relationship and had had the do yo have anything talk. He had not realised he even had herpes,but now to have to explain this to whoever I date is not going to be easy and i will lose out on some potentially good men,but if I had a cold sore it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• This is a good question. But you need to find out how to cope with what you have and how to function effectively with it. This is a sideline that is taking away from the real problem. I hope you are able to work through it. Life is not fair.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You are absolutely right, there isn't always a way of knowing, and the situation really sucks, because STD's can be passed on without either person knowing they have one, or by one person not mentioning it. At some point in time, your ex didn't use protection with another partner...and now you are stuck and all you can do at this point is be upfront about it before it gets to a point where you are inclined to be sexually active, and teach your kids to use protection when they become sexually active, so that the same thing doesn't happen to them.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:08 AM on Jun. 13, 2011