Pregnant and work at an animal shelter.

I work at a animal shelter and just found out last week i'm pregnant. I work alot with dogs but work with cats for about 4 hours out of the day changing about 100 litter pans a day (just dumping them out and putting a new one back in) I also wear gloves. I know your not supposed to be around cat feces or urine when pregnant but when i was preg before i was always changing our own cats littler box. I dont want to leave my job because i really love working there. so should i just wear one of those things that cover your nose and mouth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Good question for the doctor.
    Allergy and Immunology specialists would day that our bodies need exposure to all the kinds of "agents" for our bodies to create a strong immune system. Even during pregnancy moms need the exposure. As long as you are taking safety precautions I don't see a problem. But then again each one of us have individual medical needs so please let us know what your doctor says about your question when you go for your next prenatal care visit.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If you've been working around the litter you are probably immune. They tell you not to do it as a precaution, but I have always had cats, as well as my cousin who changed her pans through 4 pregnancies. And the first poster is right on with her advice!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Talk to your doctor. Im sure you dont want to hurt your unborn baby just because you love your job.
    JaggersMommy1

Answer by JaggersMommy1 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011