S/O Pot Smoking Parents

I just read through the answers and many of them said the issue was that pot is illegal. But in a growing number of areas in the US it's now considered legal for medicinal uses and in some areas it's even legal to grow for personal use as long as you aren't selling it - which in turn allows personal use as long as it's personally grown.

Yet people continue to assume that only "bad parents" smoke pot...

So I ask this - IF a pot smoking mama lives in an area where it's legal does that make them a "regular parent" and if they are in an area where it's illegal they are "bad parents?"

Really?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't do it, though I know of some people that do. It is not legal here, as a consequence, I don't think of them as 'bad parents' but I do think it is an irresponsible decision because it is illegal and they could end up getting in trouble with the law.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 7:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I am not going to lie... I would consider them a bad parent...

Someone who smokes pot - legal or not , is just not someone that i would ever want to be around - same as someone who drinks alot... yeah some people can drink and thats fine because it is legal, but yet look how many bad things come from it ( more than good) ... so just because it can be legal still doesnt mean it is fine...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 7:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• A pot smoking parent does not always should be classified as a bad one, in my years of my children's upbringing I came across many of pot smoking parents, I got married in the good old 70's, and they were all great responsible parents, who always had time for their children. There are a lot more "legal" prescription drugs being abused out there, and people don't pay attention because they are legal!

Answer by older at 8:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree I would consider them a bad parent also... Legal where they live or not it just isnt right IMO... I mean if you smoke pot its almost inevitable that at one point your child will want to and how will you be able to tell them not to or they shouldnt. I mean how would you look saying " dont do drugs , they are bad".. You are their #1 role model and they look up to you and want to be like you, so you have to set the examples high( no pun intended ), as far as I am concerned
    stacy1124

Answer by stacy1124 at 8:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Well, I think that a person who smokes pot in general, parent or not, has made a choice that is irresponsible in that they are doing something illegal WHICH is in turn risking a hefty fines, job loss or jail time which in turn effects their lives as well as the lives of any kids they may have. If one is smoking pot for medicinal purposes, then they have dropped that irresponsibility because those out comes become invalid. So I guess yes it makes them less irresponsible for using it. (I have trouble calling someone a bad parent over one miss thought choice.)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My parents get medical marijuana. And it hasn't changed them in a bad way. They are more active with their grandchildren now because they aren't in pain. I think that as long as you don't smoke it around children or other people then its fine. It only effects your parenting if you would rather smoke it then spend time with your kids. Smoking it if its illegal is only bad parenting because you could get caught and then have your children taken away from you.

Hopeful44

Answer by Hopeful44 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I ALSO wanted to add that at one time I did have a friend who smoked pot ( i didnt know it at first) - her kids and her house was always clean, she had a decent job ... well someone found out that she smoked pot ( even though she didnt do it with her kids around) ... and she got fired from her job, and then had cps called ( I dont know if the same person who told her work, or if it was her work who called cps) ... they came as she was getting ready to send them to grandmas for the weekend because she was going to have a "relaxing weekend" ... well they came, they found the pot ( that she just recently got for the weekend) .. and of course the kids were taken away and places with their father... she had to go to jail for a 2 days, had to pay a hefty amount of money and is still waiting to go back to court -- still no jobs and she still doesnt have her kids back...

but yeah that is totally worth smoking a little weed -_-
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 8:10 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Good question. Would you consider a parent who uses other legal drugs for chronic pain a bad parent? My son has one of those diseases that cannabis can and does help with pain and other things. It's also been shown that it can help cancer patients, not only with pain, but also improves their appetite
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It is so funny reading these types of posts... I can bet many of you would have to pick your mouths off the ground if you really knew who smokes pot..

No, I don't see them as bad just because they smoke pot.. I look at the facts the whole picture..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• midgnight I so agree with you!!!! in most cases today, you would probably find that your doctor, your lawyer, your dentist, and your bank official are probably under the influence and others are unaware!

Answer by older at 8:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2011