I go see my OB for our first real visit after all the paper work. Will they do an ultra sound to see how many babies are in there?

Hopeful44

Asked by Hopeful44 at 8:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Typically the first u/s is between 8-12 weeks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:04 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Probably not. Maybe if you conceived through IVF where there is a higher chance of multiples. they will listen to baby's heart beat and if they think they hear more than one, they will go from there.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• They may. mine always did to get the measurments and a better idea of how far along i was even though I was always right.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 8:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Maybe it depends on the Dr... I nver had an US before 20 wks
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My 1st appt was at 6 weeks and I only visited with a nurse. I went back two weeks later and at 8 weeks had an ultrasound. Then I got one every week through my 1st trimester. I was sent to the hospital for the big 20-week scan (better equipment.) I had one in my 3rd trimester at the dr's office (maybe because I pleaded.) And then we just had our 33-week measurement scan at the hospital. So I hear it does vary by doctor. And beware if you ask for one at your dr's office - they will charge you for it. I think my share is $11 or something based on our insurance. Also, my doctor is a one-woman practice. She has about 6 exam rooms and only one ultrasound machine. So if we're not put in the ultrasound machine exam room - we can pretty much count on not getting an ultrasound. That can also factor into the # of ultrasounds you get.
    Eek - sorry for the long reply! This is my first pregnancy and I LOVE to see the baby!! :)
    Sally33

Answer by Sally33 at 8:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i had my first at 10 weeks
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Not for most, but depends on the care provider.
    Some prefer not to offer ultrasounds without indication, to avoid unnecessary exposure, risks.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:34 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It really depends on your doctor or midwife.

Mine always does one around 6 weeks but others wait until 8 weeks or more. Other do one at the first appointment. You will have to see how your doctor does things.
    Anonymous