AHHHH!!!!!! HEAD LICE!!!!!

my niece (age 4) just got sent home from school with lice. my sister is at work, so i picked her up. There are little bugs all over her head, and i don't know what to do. please help, i've never done this before!

bestmommyeber

Asked by bestmommyeber at 3:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• there is a product called resultz. its failrly new, and made it so much easier to get rid of the eggs. it destroys the membrane around the egg, so it cannot stick to the hair shaft. then you can just comb it out, instead of picking through the hair to find eggs. i chose this shampoo when my daughter got lice, cause i am wary of using most other stuff that has pestecides in it.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You need to use RID, or a lice remover from the store. Target, Walmart has it. All of your clothing, bedding, etc need to be sprayed. Your car needs to be sprayed. I went through it with my daughter 5 times last year because the school did not check the classroom. 3 other kids had it and kept giving it to my daughter. You have to sit and comb through every strand of hair and remove all the nits or they will hatch. She needs a couple of treatments. Wash everything in HOT water. Soak all combs/brushes in HOT soapy water as well. Good luck, because it is a pain. If you don't get it now, they can spread to you or others.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Buy the kit which contains the shampoo, room spray and nit comb. It works best.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• First of all, pull your hair up and make sure no one has head to head contact with her! Then, go to the store, buy a shower cap and mayonnaise. Cover her head in the mayo and then put the shower cap over her hair. The mayo actually suffocates the bugs. She will need to wear it several hours. After wards, wash her hair and go through it with a "nit" comb. You will have to pick through her hair almost strand by strand. Some people will tell you to get the Lice shampoos, but mayo works just as well and is not putting chemicals on her head. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is to get all the eggs after the bugs are dead! If you don't, she'll have them back again in no time! Good luck! Getting rid of them is not hard, just time consuming!
    Anonymous

• Just as precaution it is also good to treat everyone in the house as well. That's what our pediatrician told us to do. Lice can jump and they jump far, like fleas. Make sure the school checks all students in the classroom so that it doesn't keep going around.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• yup what everyone said...also for things your afraid to put in washer you can put them in plastic and then put in freezer..also check your car you may want to spray head reasts etc... also if I was you I would wash my hair w/Rid also since it can help you not get lice..good luck !
    Mackenzie40

Answer by Mackenzie40 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• take a shower cap and veg. oil. coat her head with veg. oil and put the cap on for like 30-60 min then wash out extremely well they will pretty much be all gone eggs and all suffocate and die off. they had bad break outs when i was in elem. school and mom couldn't get rid of them any other way. we tried all the lice shampoos but couldn't get rid of them for anything!!!!!! this worked and very inexpensive.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• thank you all. but i still don't know how to get the eggs off. they are stuck to her hair, is that normal?
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 5:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You have to buy a lice/nit comb. They are specially made to remove nits (eggs)
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I worked in a childcare class and i had to do a project about lice so u have to buy a kit and it will tell u everything what to do etc i do think u can buy the kit anywhere! Lice is so nasty if i had it in my hair i would scream i hope u get rid of it fast! best of luck to u =]
    Juliannamommie

Answer by Juliannamommie at 9:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2008