What is going on with our children?

Let's say we were at the fast food restaurant. As I'm paying for the items (total $14.32) with a twenty dollar bill I asked the cashier to wait because I had some change but the cashier proceeded to press the numbers on the register. So I pull out a nickel and two pennies and ask him to give me 3 quarters. The cashier said that he'd already punched the numbers and while the register was still open he couldn't figure out the math.
Are we teaching our children to depend too much on technology?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, the school system is teaching our children to depend on technology and cheat sheets to get by in life. How sad! I seriously cant stand the public school system and I am very close to home schooling my kids.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes, I see this many many times!!!!!

Answer by older at 8:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes, I've run into situations like that and think it's truly sad that many of them don't know basic math!

Answer by missanc at 8:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• This is not at all uncommon around where I live. And it's not just the young people, either. I think we all rely too much on technology!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• They relay too much on technology and no one teaches them basic customer service.

sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• When I owned a store I disabled the change function on the cash register so the clerks had to be able to count the change back to the customer. I had some clerks that didn't last a day and were they ever upset. Too bad. Basic math is something I required for employment.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• yes, a main focus for us (in special ed.) was teaching the kids to make change. i think they are better at it than the kids who are in the 'regular' classes because they get to use calculator, etc. that is sad. i would have given them a math lesson right then and there lol. i have done it before and probably will do it again lmao
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• lol, that's bad, yikes!
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:34 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes! I hate that!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• That truely is a problem with our children now days to much of everything made to easy or given to them & I put my kids & grand children in this.
    wvblj

Answer by wvblj at 9:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2011