what can i do about a 10 year old who babysits a 4 and 5 year old all day while their mom is at work. The state they live in there is no age limit on babysitting.

worried2011

Asked by worried2011 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• – collapse
    Contact CPS, a 10 y/o doesn't have the capacity to properly supervise themselves all day, much less a 4 & 5 year old.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• You could reach out and see if it's a matter of the parent feeling desperate. See if you can't help talk them through other possibilities without it becming an ordeal. You could always call it in but if there is no law I don't know how far that will get you. They may not have a minimum on babysitting, but maybe a some other way of wording it. Like a minimum on age of being left without an adult???
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Have you offered to help the family? While it is sad, and not a choice I would make nor find acceptable, obviously this mom is out of options.

Before calling CPS, I would try reaching out to her either personally or through your church, or your school.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't just call CPS, if you know this family how about helping out and babysitting for them? maybe things are really bad finacially for them and they can't afford a sitter. Are they in danger? not being cared for at all during the day? It all depends on the maturity of the 10 yr old.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• How do you know that this 10yo isn't responsible? There's a reason why some states don't have an age limit. I know of more then one 10yo can be responsible not only for themselves but also a 4 & 5 yo even more responsible then a 16yo. How do you also know that they don't have a safe plan in place? such as an older neighbor they can go to if they need them? or someone they can call? You need to know more before you try to disrupt this family.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• – collapse
    I would still call CPS. No 10 year old can take care of 2 kids all day long. And geez, if Mom couldn't afford proper care, maybe she should have thought about that before he had kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Is not uncommon for children the same age to babysit. They still can do it for a couple of hours. We are not taking about doing it everyday. Are we????
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• "Talking"
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Have YOU offered to help the mom? And, how do you know the 10 year old is not capable? When I was 10 it was not odd for me to babysit for my mom and we had foster children of all different ages. Babysitting while mom works is not abuse or neglect, it's giving an older child responsibility. It's not a matter for CPS or even someone sticking their nose in if help is not wanted.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would offer assistance before I called CPS. I babysat my brother at 10 and he was 6. I knew the rules, I knew what we should do all day, and my neighbors knew we were there alone and would come by to check on us and occasionally bring us lunch. You don't know what kind of plan she has in place, or what people know of her situation before you start trying to disrupt a family.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2011