the math teacher called....

and my 11 yr old that is in the 6th grade is failing i can't afford a tudior and i barely made it though school myself the teacher said she just gave up 3 wks ago all off her grades are f's i just found out it was this bad she is grounded i am metting w the teacher next thurs for a meeting i don't know what to do i'm going crazy!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• i do agree she does want attention you see she just started middle school this year and it has been hard and diffrent. yes i do need an education but this situation is like 911 u know she needs help right now and i have other kids and a small income so me going back to school right now is out of the question for me and really this subject is not about me. i am going to go meet w/ her math teacher my daughter says this teacher hates her yet shes the only one that called to say she needs help so i think she does care and i'll do the best i can she allways does extra bad this time of year
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• What is your question? The teacher is going to have to step up and help out here. The school probably has tutoring programs. You need to be on top of your kid on this too. Make sure she gets her homework done and MAKE her study. If she has a question about something look it up online. Google is an excellent resource for math help.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Grounding def. wont work. you should get some education yourself and start helping her.

this is NO bashing. you just said yourself that you barely made it through school. So you need to work on yourself before you ground your child for something that she doesnt have any kind of support at.

Dont ground her for that. Make sure you figure out WHY she just gave up 3 weeks ago. Something must have happend that she just doesnt care about school anymore. Does she maybe get picked on in school? thats what happened to my little cousin. Everybody in school was picking at her and immedately her grades dropped.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would see if the school can set something up. Usually there are classes that kids can get into for extra help and sometimes they even offer after school programs for that sort of thing.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• thats ridiculous. that teacher need to do something after all she is the teacher. all i can offer up is to sit down with your daughter for an hour after school and go over her stuff with her. itll help and you get to spend some time with her...sometimes (not neccessarily this time) a child lets their grades fall because they want attention.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have to disagree with you xhellxfirex495, the teacher can only work with what she is given, if a child doesn't want to (nor is guided or helped to do homework) then it then becomes the PARENTS problem. Not doing homework is not a cry for attention!!,The OP stated that she narely made through high school, so if OP has a learning disability or problem then she needs to seek help elsewhere. Tutors don't necessarily cost money, sometimes they do if for free to get credits for high school or college via the Public Library and other programs. If you have the internet then you can definately find a site that has help and even games to get her into learning.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2008