Teenagers!! aahhh!!

Do any of you have a teenager with a HUGE HORRIBLE attitude?! My mom is moving my sister about 3hrs away..and she is throwing a huge fit! She says she does not want to move, and be away from her friends. She is almost 18 ( in October)..so she is threatening to move out ..and go live with her friends or her boyfriend (of 3 weeks). She says that my Mom cannot keep her here, and that if she wont let her move back before school starts in August, then she will have someone come get her. She has no job, no car, no license..nothing. She thinks she knows everything, as do all teenagers.. so my Mom is at her whits end, and does not know what to do. I dont have teenagers,..mine are 2 and 5, so not good at giving advise on this one. HELP!!!!!!!!

LoveMyKids0203

Asked by LoveMyKids0203 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a teen. When I call her bluff, it usually works. Tell your mom she has to put her foot down. Is your sister spoiled?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Your sister is almost 18 and it sounds like she hasn't had any form of responsibility (no job, no car, no license). Your mom can't force her to move with her once she is 18, but she can give her a hard dose of reality before then. She wants to move out, let her get a job and start taking care of herself. Your mom shouldn't give her any money or chauffeur her around. She wants to play adult, let her really play the game and see how she likes it.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:34 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The teen years are terrible years to move children. Especially if they are happy in school. It can be really traumatic. I have freinds whose 18 year old lived with a girl friend for her senior year in high school so she could finish with her friends in the school she was comfortable in. Can your mom look into this?
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• She's not 18 yet, so your mom is responsible. Tell her to do what she needs to do, and if the daughter runs away, send the law after her. Every child wants to have her own way, so this is no different than any other decision. Your sister is likely used to getting her own way and doesn't like the fact that she's not right now. Tell your mom to go ahead and move. It will be good for your sister to learn that she can't always have what she wants and that sometimes, we have to take other people into consideration. My guess is that she's been pretty badly spoiled.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Is there a friend that your mom trusts that she can live with for her senior year? It's only 3 hours, she could come home every other weekend or something to make your mom happy and she'd be there for holidays, etc. but be able to be with her friends for all the school activities. I would never move my kids the summer before their last year of high school - that's a very important time. My parents were considering moving when I was in highschool and we had already decided that if they did, I was going to live with my best friend and her parents for that year.

Answer by missanc at 9:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Children have to learn a big lesson, which is life is not always fair. Which seems to be a big problem with society nowadays. She also needs to realize that moving away is not the end of the world. There are other people out there in this big US of A and more people to meet. It's actually a good experience for her, especially before she ends up an adult. Those of you commenting not to move her before her senior year, what do you think will happen the next year when everyone heads off to college or she does herself? School IS NOT for socialization, but for EDUCATION, it's high time parents started realizing this. Otherwise we shouldn't educate our kids and just have age appropriate playgroups for children. She also needs to realize that your parents are the authority and she needs to follow their rules or she's going to have a rude awakening later on.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Mom needs to get tough. We are moving, you are moving with us. PERIOD. You have no means or skills to be on your own and if you run away I will report you. Let's get through the next school year and we will re-evaluate. During that year I will help you get your licence, a job and skills to live on your own...if you are doing well in school. I would not waiver from that one lil bit. The girl needs to be reminded she is not in control.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• LOL, I would tell your sister to stay then and NOT move lol. Also teenagers are no different than toddlers, just taller with bigger vocabulary. but at the same time, I dont' blame your sister, leaving before her Senior year? That's tough. In that situation I would let the child stay
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• She is almost 18, your mom needs to let her do what she wants when she turns 18. It's very hard to move when you are that close to graduation. Leaving all your friends, etc. Is there someone she can stay with for her last year of school? Or if she is done, then at 18 she moves and becomes self sufficient.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I loved being a mom until my girls turned into teenagers and then I couldn't figure out what was so fun anymore about being a parent.
    my youngest daughter just turned 18 and she has this crazy idea of her and a friend living in their own apt. and she does not drive and we live 30 miles to the next town so I just have to tell her good luck and her room will still be here for her when she needs it.
    One thing I learned was to give up the control and let them figure it out but just be there for when Their plans don't work out.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011