Breastfeeding myth or fact?

im due any day with my 3rd ... im planning on breastfeeding this time around.. i didnt with my other 2 cuz i had some weird feelings towards it but am going to give it a try.. but ive heard that breastfeeding helps in weight loss... is this true or just a myth?

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends on the person, I didn't see any weight loss from it, but everyone is different.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• In my personal view everyone is different, my aunt stayed thin, but it made me seem thick.
    loleah

Answer by loleah at 9:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• For some people it does help them lose weight and for others it doesn't. I had a friend who would eat a Big Mac, large fry, and a large coke, every day for lunch while she was breastfeeding/pumping. She produced enough milk for 3 babies and she lost 80 lbs in 6 months after having her child. (I really don't recommend this, btw). I have another friend, who ate healthy, exercised, and breastfed and she had trouble losing weight. It really just depends on your body.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• yes, it can. depends on the person
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It depends on your eating habits. While breastfeeding does (fact) burn calories if you are taking in extra calories then it doesn't matter. Like riding a bike while eating a snickers bar. You would take the amount of calories you would need to loose weight and add about 200 to it. It can assist weight loss not cause it. LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• yes, breastfeeding burns about 500 calories a day. BUT...when your body makes breast milk, your body also craves more vitamins & when your body craves more vitamins it gets real hungry. breastfeeding moms still have to eat super duper healthy, as if they were pregnant to make sure their milk has all the vitamins necessary. So, lots of women continue to pig out when breastfeeding. In fact, i can say that i was MORE hungry when breastfeeding than when i was pregnant. I ate like a pig. So, if you're careful...& watch what you eat...then yes...you sure can lose weight from breastfeeding. Just eat healthy & don't pig out like i did when i was breastfeeding.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Worked great for me. The fat melted off like butter, and by the time my baby was 1 year old, I was 15 pounds lighter than I was pre pregnancy. But I gained it all back once I stopped nursing.

And I never ate super duper healthy. Baby gets the vitamins before mom, so you don't need to stress about that. I ate what I normally eat, But ate more, and still lost weight.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• With my first child I was 20 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight by the time he was 2 months old. Breastfeeding definitely helped my lose the baby weight (and then some).
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 9:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It just depends, I breastfed 2 of my kids and with one I didn't lose weight and with the other I did. and with the kid I lost weight with I also was eating heathier and not taking a lot of junk in.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:50 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• For me it was true. With all 5 of mine I was under pre pregnancy weight within a couple weeks. I could eat anything I wanted while breastfeeding and still maintain my weight - the hard part was readjusting my eating back down to non-bf levels when I weaned them.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2011