I found out this week that my baby girl has a two vessel cord. I have chewed off my fingernails till they bled in worry. Please offer your advice.

My SO and I already are taking care of his son with autism. We were really looking forward to a healthy baby girl and then BOOM! We get the news that she only has a two vessel cord. I know that this can mean cardiac defects, kidney defects, down syndrome and other things. I also know that this can mean nothing at all.

Our baby is measuring big, which is good, but ugh... I am having a really hard time here. What are your experiences? Do you know something that I don't?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 3:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My good friend has a daughter that has a 2 vessel cord. She measured small all along throughout pregnancy. She was born with some cardiac and kidney defects, and a minor problem with her lower spine. She has had one surgery to repair her spine, and her other problems are just being watched for now. She may need future operations, but she also may not. Time will tell. She is also petite for her age. BUT, here's the upside... despite all of this, you'd never know (other than her petite size) that there is anything different about this little girl. She tumbles and plays with her older siblings and has no trouble keeping up. She is very bright and very happy. I don't think my friend feels like she's raising a special needs child. Other than that one surgery and some extra doctor appointments, she's really no different than any other child on a day-to-day basis.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i havnt heard about anything like this but if eveything else is looking ok then try not to worrie yourself sick all you will do is stress and thats not going to be good for the baby. keep a positive mind. i will pray for you.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• BlueFrogMama... I appreciate the story and honesty. I was worried that I would only get responses that nothing would come of it.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My daughter only had two vessels, nobody ever caught it until she was born. She is and always has been very healthy with no problems at all. I didn't know it was such a big deal! Nobody told me anything...
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2008